Clutch issue? suspicious noise from uphill start

Cupra R MK2

Sep 21, 2015
Manchester, United Kingdom
Since I put in a reinforced clutch, I've noticed that there is a noise and vibration coming from lifting the clutch pedal in an uphill start, and no, it's not a question of being close to stalling the engine, it baffles me, I actually replaced the reinforced clutch with the standard clutch, I took the opportunity to change the dual fly-wheel, it wasn't in good shape, and the problem still persists like an annoying mosquito, any idea what it could be? Thanks

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Not sure if this is an ideal test but do you get the vibration when you try and move with the handbrake on so someone can have a listen to see if it's audible from the front end? Obviously don't go flying into the garage lol Does it happen at a certain rev range if it's on hill starts only?

Reactions: Cupra R MK2

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
I'd say if you've gone back to the stock clutch and new flywheel and it's still doing it, it would rule them out. Do you feel the vibration in the clutch pedal or just the car generally? I have the vibratechnics full mount kit. I can feel the extra vibration through my gear stick.

Cupra R MK2

Sep 21, 2015
It only happens in hill starts, it started when I put a Sachs reinforced clutch with a new dual mass fly-wheel, at that time I didn't have the Revo engine mounts on, could it be the clutch master cylinder? I don't know any other parts associated with the clutch kit. I don't think it's a handbrake issue, the noise comes from the front, the vibration is generated by lifting the clutch pedal as I go uphill in first gear, the entrance to my garage is a steep slope and it happens every time, if the clutch and flywheel are ruled out, what other part could be at fault? I was told that the clutch master cylinder is not a separate part, it's integrated some way, I have serious doubts about that :(

Hawkers

Nov 7, 2015
Norwich, UK
Did they change the slave cylinder? This is recommended with a clutch change and involves the same labour. It is a separate part inside the clutch housing.

The master cylinder is inside the car near the pedal.

Cupra.r92

Mar 1, 2019
Was the input shaft inspected for movement when the clutch was off? Did the clutch and flywheel have uneven where? Input shaft bearings and input shaft shims are a known problem and that could cause a host of symptoms and get worse

Cupra.r92

Mar 1, 2019
Also when I changed to Sacsh organic clutch and Luk dual mass flywheel. The car did judder in 1st and reverse for approx 100miles untill it got better. you have to take it easy for around 500miles to bed it in so I was told

Cupra.r92

Mar 1, 2019
I've down more than 600 miles, and still persists
I had loose input shaft on my car and the clutch kept dipping out. You grab the shaft sticking out the gearbox and shake it side to side to check for movement sounds dirty but it what's you got to do lol. Let me know what mechanic says to you and so you know the clutch slave cylinder is same as the clutch release bearing on our cars ... So you will have new slave already.. also best way to test our boxes is to select High gear and accelerate hard at low speeds to check for noises and vibrations so that might be worth a try as well

Cupra.r92

Mar 1, 2019
Well, sorry for the delay, next Wednesday the car is going to the mechanic, the clutch bearing was changed according to him, that noise as if the car is gonna stall is driving me up the wall
Anyway you could post a video or pm your mobile number so you could send video through watsap?.. if not let us know what the mechanic recommends for you do next. And just for the record the bearing I changed wasnt a clutch bearing, it was inside the gearbox attached to the input shaft "laygear bearing" I believe. But i really need to hear or see what's going on

Sent from my 5099Y using Tapatalk

Cupra R MK2

Sep 21, 2015
Anyway you could post a video or pm your mobile number so you could send video through watsap?.. if not let us know what the mechanic recommends for you do next. And just for the record the bearing I changed wasnt a clutch bearing, it was inside the gearbox attached to the input shaft "laygear bearing" I believe. But i really need to hear or see what's going on

Sent from my 5099Y using Tapatalk
In the gearbox I have a limited slip differential from Wavetrac but I don't think it is a problem

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise