Clutch issue

Gregor C

Jul 24, 2016
Hi all

I bought a 2001 Ibiza Cupra on Friday. Have spent the weekend sorting out a few issues with it, but on a drive today noticed something with the clutch which after googling and searching on here I still can't find an answer to.

I took the car out for around an hour today and as I was heading home the gears became very difficult to select, to the point where I had to change gear in timing with the engine rpm. I went back into the car this evening and found that the gears seemed better now that the car had cooled down , but that to get the smoothest gear change my foot had to be right to the floor on the clutch, which obviously isn't right !

Clutch bite point is very close to the floor I.e half an inch.

Have checked all fluid levels and they are fine.

Any ideas what this could be ? The clutch isn't slipping at all so I wonder if this is a hydraulic issue ? Any help appreciated.

taffyR

May 15, 2006
TREALAW/ RHONDDA S.WALES
clutch fault help

Hi all

I bought a 2001 Ibiza Cupra on Friday. Have spent the weekend sorting out a few issues with it, but on a drive today noticed something with the clutch which after googling and searching on here I still can't find an answer to.

I took the car out for around an hour today and as I was heading home the gears became very difficult to select, to the point where I had to change gear in timing with the engine rpm. I went back into the car this evening and found that the gears seemed better now that the car had cooled down , but that to get the smoothest gear change my foot had to be right to the floor on the clutch, which obviously isn't right !

Clutch bite point is very close to the floor I.e half an inch.

Have checked all fluid levels and they are fine.

Any ideas what this could be ? The clutch isn't slipping at all so I wonder if this is a hydraulic issue ? Any help appreciated.
Check your clutch pedal mounting bracket.
Its the black frame in footwell that holds the pivot shaft for all pedals.
Common problem... The welds are poor and prone to cracking.
Often come away from bulkhead or break within frame welds.
Meaning, every time you put any force on pedal its the frame thats travelling not the full pedal travel
Hope this helps, ive had my Ibiza cupra R for 15 years and had this happen a few times and had to re-weld the bracket properly. Very often the weld cracks near the nylon insert that pushes the clutch slave piston rod..

Last edited:

Gregor C

Jul 24, 2016
Thanks mate so not the actual clutch pedal itself then as this was something I had to weld up on my old cupra ?

taffyR

May 15, 2006
TREALAW/ RHONDDA S.WALES
clutch pedal holding erame

No, the flimsy frame that holds the pedal shaft mechanism.
Could be snapped anywhere under there. Usually by nylon insert. two welds either side of little bracket that holds nylon in place.
Also had it snapped at fixing points to bulkhead.....
It will move away from bulkhead when pedal pushed, limiting your pedal movement and therefore your clutch travel
A real ba7@@rd of a job, good lighting and plenty of patience
Sometimes can be welded in situ with care..
Sorry...
Best of.......

Last edited:

Gregor C

Jul 24, 2016
Thanks for your suggestion ! I've found a few cracks around the clutch pedal and after taking a video while depressing the clutch and I can see that area bulging through to the engine bay.

Will welding this up sort it ?

taffyR

May 15, 2006
TREALAW/ RHONDDA S.WALES
Thanks for your suggestion ! I've found a few cracks around the clutch pedal and after taking a video while depressing the clutch and I can see that area bulging through to the engine bay.

Will welding this up sort it ?

Bulging through engine bay???
What your bulkheads cracked??
The broken welds are usually somewhere on the pedal frame.
Spend some time, take the pedal frame out and weld up all the crap joints.
That way you should never get this trouble again.
its the sort of job you really only want to do once !!!
Post some pics when its removed.

Gregor C

Jul 24, 2016
Hi again ,

I've messed around with the car during the week. Haven't done the welds yet but have narrowed my problem down. I only really seem to be having a problem shifting into 2nd gear. I can do it no problem, but it always crunches. Very very annoying. Could this be a gearbox issue ?

Gregor C

Jul 24, 2016
Changed the gearbox oil today with no improvement.

So it's a crunch only in 2nd gear , and a very very low bite point on the clutch.

Could the gearbox itself be knackered ?