clutch on its way...

cupra1981r

hi guys, got a cupra tdi and been remapped at jabba bout 10 months ago...

clutch started slipping over xmas and they said it could be the real cold weather we had, anyways... i am expecting it to be going sometime soon and looking at uprated one's. however i really dont feel like spending nearly£900 for them to fit a sachs organic!

does any1 no of any other options i may have??

cheers people! :confused:

truCido

Race Lupo in progress...
Dec 11, 2003
Bristol
www.vagowners.co.uk
jabbasport fitted me a clutch for about £400 I think it was...might have been £600. Can't remember, spent a lot that day lol. Ask Jabbasport what other options you have, they are usually quite helpful

joop200789

Jul 5, 2009
Barnsly
good price arnt they. not sure on the paddle clutch but the bloke said the fast road clutch they do are rated upto 350 and there only 180 quid

stebbi

Got Boost???
Jun 10, 2008
Preston
Im waiting for an email back from them about the carametalic (or whatever it is) one that they do. only £320. just wonder if its the whole clutch kit or just the plate.
as atm im looking at getting a Sash Sintered plate for £250+vat from awesome and thats rated to 480lbft so will be able spot on, albiet maybe annoying in standing traffic.

shame the fast road one doesnt have a higher torque rating, as its dirt cheap at that price

Aimez

Do have to get a different clutch for different stage of remaps then? I want a stage two remap but know I need a new clutch for that. Was kinda hoping the clutch would wear before then but I just don't so enough mileage nowdays for that to happen.

stebbi

Got Boost???
Jun 10, 2008
Preston
naa normally you'd just go for the sash organic one which is rated to 380lbft, thats normally spot on for anyone running more than just a generic stage 1 map upto a stage 3.
its only when you start adding things like watermeth etc that it'll struggle.

all my watermeth plans have gone in favor of a vinyl wrap :(

stebbi

Got Boost???
Jun 10, 2008
Preston
nope, most have either sash organic or the helix ones.
i'd be very interested as to how good this cg motorsports kits are though, the website looks as though they're good mind and i think at those prices you cant go wrong tbh. beats 900 for the sash one lol

cupra1981r

hmmm, this all sound much better to me. i had a custom map at jabba suited ti my standard clutch. they did say however that if i got the organic sachs clutch with them they would map it up to its full potential (340lb ft) but if i can get a clutch for these sorts of prices i dont think i'd bother with the sachs...

any1 no anything about these Helix ones then? my mate said he could fit 1 for me??

:confused:

Aimez

did you mean ceramic clutch? At work as customer asked for one to be fitted in his truck (not the same thing obviously!) as he was getting through so many he said it was an uprated ceramic clutch. EVERYONE at work shook their head and said it was a bad idea?!

stebbi

Got Boost???
Jun 10, 2008
Preston
cerametallic?

essensially with organic plates what makes them slip is the organic compound breaks up with the temp increase. so with cerametallic because its more of a metalic compound it doesnt break up much at all therefore its able to handle more torque and more power in general.

the cerametallic is pretty much the same as sintered clutch plates, the difference being sintered (eg sash) is that the friction material is bonded to the plate where as on the cerametalic it is riveted on.

down side is that with the cerametallic or sintered they are paddle clutch plates so instead of it being a full plate like the organic ones http://www.risingsunperformance.nl/...eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/f/i/file_43_8_1.jpg whilst sintered is paddle and looks like the plate on the right of the image http://www.clockwisemotion.co.uk/images/honda-k20-clutch.jpg

this means that there is less give in the paddle clutch and its more of a on-off feeling whilst the organic is much more like a standard clutch feeling (biting point)

I need to get out more and stop researching clutches lol :ban:

Aimez

Okay no this is good I need to look into this as I have no clue!lol My friend has an RS turbo with a race clutch in (think he said paddle) and everyone but him that drove the car stalled it ad he said it was not much fun crawling in traffic. That seriously put me off!
But you have a hybrid so this is obviously alot different to me looking at stage 2 remap.

Mar 25, 2009
bath
looking for the same info and aimez, looking at a stage 2 map on my 130 tdi, custom decat and panel filter, will be going for the sachs if its not too undrivable in traffic,

anyone know what power and torque to expect?