clutch problem?

nvidia

2004 Seat Ibiza FR TDi
May 16, 2009
Reading
well today i was at a traffic lights, put in 1st gear, to wait for light turn green, then about 3 sec later, i heard some weird noise, so try to put the car in natural, and found the gear stick was really hard to move, also really stiff to put in first gear. After i got home with my car window open, just pulling up the driveway, in 1st gear but clutch down, i heard some metal knocking noise or something

tomd1338

Nov 2, 2009
I've just been to the mechanics because my car wasn't going into first gear at all. New clutch is needed apparently. It happened a couple of times that it would go in but then stopped completley.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
well today i was at a traffic lights, put in 1st gear, to wait for light turn green, then about 3 sec later, i heard some weird noise, so try to put the car in natural, and found the gear stick was really hard to move, also really stiff to put in first gear. After i got home with my car window open, just pulling up the driveway, in 1st gear but clutch down, i heard some metal knocking noise or something

Take out the air filter housing - get someone to look at the clutch actuator arm whilst you push the clutch pedal in and out.
They should be able to see it moving (or not !)

Might be a linkage issue
Might just be the cable
Could be clutch

Benlufc

Aug 14, 2009
Leeds
I've just been to the mechanics because my car wasn't going into first gear at all. New clutch is needed apparently. It happened a couple of times that it would go in but then stopped completley.

ive just had the same problem... only had the car over two weeks....garage i bought it from being arses about it.. .dont know wether to argue it out with them or get it sorted!!

It will go in any other gear perfect.. just seems like 1st isnt there!!

Last edited:

ibiza64

Jun 23, 2009
i have had this before, after a good 10 mins of driving i tried first again with no prob, comes back occasionally, havent a clue tho!