Clutch replacement after remap

EliotPH96

Feb 23, 2016
I am thinking of buying a Mk1 TDi FR 150, but have read that after a remap the clutch will start to slip and just get destroyed by the torque. Some people seem to think its not a problem, the clutch can handle it and some think that it will just get burned out. The remap is looking to achieve around 280 ft/lbs torque. Can anybody with a remapped Mk1 TDi FR 150 shed some light?

Many thanks

Matt.

Dec 15, 2015
Depends how it's been mapped. Also depends on the mileage of the car. My PD150 Leon was mapped by Custom Code (badly) for 6 years before it needed a clutch and flywheel. This was replaced last year with a Sachs kit and is absolutely fine 9k later.

Matt.

Dec 15, 2015
I'd say the clutch on the 150's is rated to higher than that. I thought the clutch on the 130 was rated to about 280lbft and they produce less torque than the 150.

EliotPH96

Feb 23, 2016
Maybe I misread, I guess on the FR you would certainly hope there is a better clutch!

Matt.

Dec 15, 2015
Yes, had it taken off not long after I bought the car. It's still a work in progress at the minute, need to clean the turbo and then have it tweaked again

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
The FR TDI 150 clutches are good for 300ftlbs torque but as said it also depends on the type of remap
I've had mine remapped for over 6yrs and clutch has started slipping slightly over the past year

Husbandofstinky

Out from the Wilderness
Nov 8, 2007
Temperate Regions
I have always advocated an uprated clutch right from the start.

IIRC the std is about 300ft/lbs, however there have been many in the past with 280ft/lbs 'soft maps' and driving away from well respected mappers on here with clutch slip on the day.

Clutches are not an exact science and you will always in my opinion run a high risk of slippage even on a soft map. Conversely there are those that have not had that problem although from experience off this site, they tend to be in the minority.

I have been running a PD150 for nearly 12 years now, 9 of which has been on an uprated clutch and enjoying 330ft/lbs of torque during that time.

If you are going to keep the car for a few years I would do it properly otherwise I wouldn't bother as potentially it could cost you and would easily equate to a new uprated clutch together with a half fat map should it all go horribly wrong. Do you then get it mapped again for a full map?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.