Clutch slipping after ko4 upgrade

Apr 5, 2011
Somerset
Hi chaps, just done a ko4 upgrade on my leon, and just as suspected after 500 mile or so the clutch has started slipping under load in 4th 5th and 6th.

So I need to replace the clutch but I just need to know what to get so this doesn't happen again!

The car is running about 330bhp and 330lbft which I'm aware isn't mad for a ko4 but I'm assuming it's because the tfsi sport doesn't have the same clutch as the cupra and the cupra r?

Anyway I want to get it sorted before Xmas so if you guys can suggest what to get that would be great.

Really don't want a heavy clutch nor chatter from a single mass but if I have to then there's nothing much I can do!

Feb 6, 2014
Lincoln
Even Cupras may slip at stage 1, its luck of the draw whether it will last. There is a thread on here on about Sachs clutch fairly recently.

Clazzer

Mar 17, 2014
Stoke on Trent
Yeah, as Mike said mate. I've got an R and running 328bhp/333flb and I noticed a slight slip in 4th on Friday. Just going to take it easy until new year as I don't have time to have the car off the road until then. I'm looking at Sachs clutch, undecided yet on which DMF to go for. Let us know what you decide on and how it pans out for you.

caligator

Jan 30, 2014
Mine started to slip after 5000km at stage 1... Now it's stage 3 with stock dualwheel and sachs performance clutch and it works great...

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2011
Somerset
When your clutch origanally started to slip did you change the replace the dual mass with another stock one or leave it?

caligator

Jan 30, 2014
When your clutch origanally started to slip did you change the replace the dual mass with another stock one or leave it?
No... I left it stock because it was in good condition... I've done about 10000km with new clutch and it works well...

Apr 5, 2011
Somerset
I'm pretty sure I'm going to go for a sach uprated clutch I believe the friction material is called Kevlar, then have a standard dual mass also sach, just trying to find a factors that will do it, I've seen one one eBay but ideally want it from a local factors

itsmrjt

Mar 6, 2018
Leicester
Sorry to Bring up and old thread but Did you ever get the clutch sorted? My stage 2 cupra r is the same in 4th from about 2.5rpm if I put my foot down. But if I drive it through the rpm range it's fine.. Just underload from a low rpm I get slip.

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Not sure if you'll get a reply from such an old thread. If your clutch is slipping, it's either slipping because it's worn. Or because your going temporarily outside the peak torque output it can cope with. Or both lol. Just my 2p, but we don't really buy these cars and modify them to worry about slip when we put our foot down. Common choices of clutch upgrade are Sachs and Helix. I personally went for the Helix which is currently holding 340lbs of torque. Hope this helps.

Reactions: itsmrjt

itsmrjt

Mar 6, 2018
Leicester
Not sure if you'll get a reply from such an old thread. If your clutch is slipping, it's either slipping because it's worn. Or because your going temporarily outside the peak torque output it can cope with. Or both lol. Just my 2p, but we don't really buy these cars and modify them to worry about slip when we put our foot down. Common choices of clutch upgrade are Sachs and Helix. I personally went for the Helix which is currently holding 340lbs of torque. Hope this helps.
What sort of price was the part and then the work to have it fitted?

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
What sort of price was the part and then the work to have it fitted?

Clutch was around £500. I paid an extra £40ish for a new slave cylinder (its worth changing whilst its in pieces). I paid £90 for a braided clutch line (supposed to offer more assist of the stiffer clutch pedal). About 4 hours fitting I think. I didn't go for the new flywheel as mine was alright. But all in, you'd be looking around £1350 if you have the flywheel as well.

itsmrjt

Mar 6, 2018
Leicester
Clutch was around £500. I paid an extra £40ish for a new slave cylinder (its worth changing whilst its in pieces). I paid £90 for a braided clutch line (supposed to offer more assist of the stiffer clutch pedal). About 4 hours fitting I think. I didn't go for the new flywheel as mine was alright. But all in, you'd be looking around £1350 if you have the flywheel as well.
This for the new leon? I've the Mk1 just wondering what kinda prices, now I probably know why my car is mapped to a stage 2 but at 265bhp. I should be seeing 280+

itsmrjt

Mar 6, 2018
Leicester
Oh just looked through my paper work n look at the Pic, says I've a Sachs clutch £245! So makes me wonder why I'd be getting slip from it or would you say it's normal in 4th at 2.5rpm?
477cbb9622ceb9c7967e0eb6930c0918.jpg

Rusty2k

May 12, 2013
The item at £245.83 + VAT is the flywheel not the clutch.

At £170 including VAT for the clutch it would definitely have been a standard one so no surprise at all you're seeing clutch slip 4 years later with a tuned engine.

itsmrjt

Mar 6, 2018
Leicester
Would you advise I buy the stage 2 drive torque clutch for it from ebay? Or would you recommend something else?

itsmrjt

Mar 6, 2018
Leicester
What clutch do I need? Or would be stage 2 be ideal? Ebay said I'd need stage 3 clutch?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.