1. Hi Guest. We've recently updated our forum rules. Please take some time to review them. You can read the new rules here
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, stickers are available from our online store.

CNC Ported 20v heads... Dimpled inlets

Discussion in 'Badger5' started by ibizacupra, Mar 4, 2016.

1. ibizacupra

ibizacupra Jack-RIP my little Friend
    Forum Sponsor

Something new for us to try. Had a couple of heads CNC ported for builds we're doing currently.. One for me.. one for customer TT.

Nice/Lovely work..

enjoy.
    Contact us for prices of this sort of work.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#1 ibizacupra, Mar 4, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
  2. 3gte

3gte Active Member

Be interesting to see the cfd and/or flow bench of these, see if the dimples make much difference. Never thought about boundary layer interference in the ports

3. Gaz7

Gaz7 Active Member

Flow data is inbound I believe

4. irf

irf

Love it!

5. ibizacupra

Forum Sponsor

i have the flow bench data from these.

example comparison on a honda cyl head...
    https://www.facebook.com/Veicomer/videos/906496802733328/

6. 3gte

3gte Active Member

Look forward to the results of the builds now :) Are these big valve jobs or relatively tame?

7. ibizacupra

Forum Sponsor

big valve?
    no need..

std size valves, but Supertech items we use

Builds they are going on are 600+bhp stroker 20v motors, GT35 based hybrids etc etc

8. Pimped up vario

Pimped up vario Cordy Cruizer

I'll need to get someone Italian to read me what it says at the end of that video. I'm reading the values but can't make out the units so not really making sense of the flow testing part. The graph showed me the most info but still couldn't make out the units on the y and x axis. So they tested standard, polished, dimpled and not too sure about the fourth. Could somebody who's got the jist of what's what with this vid briefly explain what the fourth head is and which performs best and what the graph displays and when the other three take off over the standard head? Would be mighty grateful.

I thought porting and flowing could affect the bottom end performance of an engine with respects to resonance, pulse wave pressures

I do know that for a n/a engine the polished head would produce a more laminar air flow which means the fuel and air may not be as fully mixed as it could be. Laminar flows can have less velocity and impart heat to the surface it's flowing across. The dimpled or in the case I saw which had small v shaped grooves in the surface causes very small vortices which is referred to as turbulent flow. It can help mix the fuel and air better and reduces drag between the medium and surface it's flowing across which should increase velocity and reduce heating of intake track. Every little helps when you're going for the perfect build. I'm not too sure how dependant a turbo car is on fuel being mixed thoroughly over a n/a engine. Suppose it still is, just thinking that n/a engines are more sensitive to the intake track conditions and a turbo one isn't cause the turbo just stuffs it on in there. Anyway late night conjecture over.

#8 Pimped up vario, Nov 18, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2016