Coil pack failed after 500 miles

Aug 23, 2006
Ipswich, Suffolk
November I had a coil pack go (cyl3), then just before Christmas I had another go (cyl2).

Cylinder 3 was replaced by a garage
Cylinder 1/2/4 I replaced, with generic coil packs off ebay (Lemark CP003 on the box, and 081201BA on the coil pack itself). Probably done 600 miles or so since changing.

The car juddered tonight, ECU reader reported misfire on cylinder 2 again.
Swapped with the coil pack that was in Cylinder 1 I kept in the boot, and the fault cleared.

Anything else that I should start thinking about checking, or is it likely to be a duff coil pack.

Cheers,
Adam

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Sorry if this sounds harsh or OTT, but if VAG's chosen proper coil manufacturers have trouble providing quality coils, then what do you expect form "unknowns" - now your dilema should be, do I just give in and buy another three from VAG!

The gentle art of manufacturing EHT coils that stay alive for a few years is not an area where I'd expect to find "good cheap alternatives".

Aug 23, 2006
Ipswich, Suffolk
Sorry if this sounds harsh or OTT, but if VAG's chosen proper coil manufacturers have trouble providing quality coils, then what do you expect form "unknowns" - now your dilema should be, do I just give in and buy another three from VAG!

The gentle art of manufacturing EHT coils that stay alive for a few years is not an area where I'd expect to find "good cheap alternatives".

Fair point, for me the dilema is was it a poor coil pack or something else that caused the coil pack to fail earlier. I guess I've only seen problems on cylinder2+3, and it's cylinder 2 again.

I guess I don't want to be too quick to assume it's the cheap and nasty coil pack, buy more expensive replacements if that might suffer the same fate.

Adam

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members