Coilover obession - Why do you really want coilovers???

Bobbymk1

Apr 24, 2012
Only reason I have them is makes for better stance and if set correctly car will handle far better along , I don't like car slammed as low as it will go as I prefer to drive a car like it was designed for , but leaves me with option of both worlds ,

Adjay

Sep 5, 2011
Donegal,ireland
Problem with coilovers they can never be set identical without a fancy race set up and computer alignment, so on the road and maybe track days your car will never drive at it full potential with coilovers . But I have a set of bilstein. b10 on my car and they are a shock and spring compo with no adjustment and they are brilliant.

sheehan

I think it's down to personal preference and nothing more. I'd personally go for a matched spring and damper combo purely as its designed for the car so is definitely going to enhance the performance, however I'd still consider coilovers as I'd hate to fit a matched kit and find out its too soft, dives too much and doesnt look right.. With coilovers you could adjust this out, matched kits you'd have the hassle of removing, sending it back and finding replacements! That alone would lead me to want coilovers, but I don't think I or most other average Joe's would have the know how to really get the most out of them!

So yeah I'd agree that coilovers have recently become an uneducated choice for people, however you can see other reasons why people want them!

6k2Sid

I appreciate if you have aspirations of slamming your motor to the deck 'to be scene' (make a scene), then coilovers may be the only route of choice.

Brilliant! I read a few copies of PVW I borrowed off my mate (who has a Mk3 Golf, slammed on coilovers) and "The Scene" completely put me off a vdub! I can't stand it!

niw2500

Jul 6, 2006
To be slammed, also for better handling. Its all about the looks.

I used these guys for my recent slammage and I will use them again. Cheap and all prices include free delivery. Awesome bunch.

http://www.lowerks.com/

andycupra

status subject to change
hi guys,

im looking to fit springs /shocks to my LCR - not coilovers.. well not unless there are some that are softer/more compliant..

Im wanting to fit spring/shocks because i dont want to slam it, i want a suttle drop, and also i dont want bouncy rock hard ride, - was something that actually works on the road.

what i really want to know is which sets have softer springs/better damping as this is what i want. (in the same way the LCR has softer springs but more damping that the cupra).
Ive driven many leon cupras with coilovers, and they were all pretty nasty IMO, many were 'bouncy' and harsh, whereas the current set up on the LCR is more compliant, performs better and all in all in a difference class. Sadly these have failed. (Bilstein) They will not replace under warranty sadly.

So, what do people recommend, - while im not looking to spend silly money, - but equally i dont want to be stingy and find they are poor.

thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2012
gravesend
after reading this it has really opened my eyes i too was after coilovers but after reading this im thinking to myself....why.........i would be happy with a little lowering in my car as i drive a seat ibiza mk5 and i feel it sits too high like a tank standard.. do you think i should just settle for lowering springs or should i look into some uprated springs/shocks.....please help and im thinking about weitec

dubzero

defo eye opener, thx for having the time to do a thread like this. prob go with a spring upgrade rather than coilies after reading this.

dave_gti

Dec 23, 2012
Dundee
I have just went for spax psx 40mm drop adjustable shocks, on my mk2 ibiza gti really happy with my choice car sits fine with the option of how hard i want the ride adjustable within 2minitues dont have to remove anything prefer shocks and springs myself i feel work better for the car although collies great if unsure on your drop good and bad about both types to be fair

tombos9

May 9, 2012
Essex
This whole article makes for a great read, no where else really seems to cut to the chase with coilovers.

One question though, can you adjust caster/camber angle on a cupra r? I've phoned round various tyre firms to be told it cannot be done on the seat leon, without fitting a completely new subframe.

Has anyone had their caster/camber adjusted or can it be done? Sorry if a stupid question, would really appreciate any help on this one.

robertj

weight is the enemy
I don't think castor can be adjusted but you can get camber shims for the rear suspension and the front you will need some coilovers with adjustable top mounts to adjust camber to any significant degree.
If you lower the car you will notice that the rear wheel moves forward in the arch which can also be corrected with a special bracket. I think a couple of people on here have fitted them but a lot more MK IV golf owners use them.

wild willy

Aug 4, 2003
Wales
I've just had Bilstein B12 Proline shocks and springs fitted and am pleased i didn't go down the coillies route.To know i have a system that the manufactures have determined to be at the correct height and rebound rate is reassuring. All round driving comfort has been improved over stock and handling is superb. A great thread.
But for the record if i had a track toy i would have given a dedicated track orientated coilover more consideration.

golfguy

Jun 28, 2013
Having spent thousands over the years on Coilover adjustable suspension mainly Mk1,2, golfs and a few early Honda's, yes by all means check out the forums, but if the car is not set up professionally with 4 wheel alignment and caster and camber set up, you will have all sorts of problems with ride and handling so take care :confused:

Mikejfendercoop

kee it old school and stick to decent springs and shocks, cant go wrong!