Coilovers vs Sport Suspension

Russo

Second Row Forward
Sep 10, 2005
Hatfield, Herts
Just wondering if anyone can shed any light?

Im looking at the coilover deal Big Boys Toys are offering, can anyone explain whats the difference between coilovers and a sport suspension kit. I had a Bilstein road sport kit on my mk3 golf a few years back, it wasnt bad for the price but the ride was bloody hard! Im assuming coilovers lower the car without compromising the ride quality, is that correct? Im not keen on paying loads of money for an adjustable kit that I probably wont ever adjust!

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
have a search in the Leon forum mate, been asked a lot recently. (even by me)

In short, coilovers usually give you matched springs and dampers, the sports kits are usually just mixed and matched. Well, thats what I hear anyway, although not sure to be honest.

I opted for coilovers as I got them cheaper than a sports suspension kit anyway (really good deal on ebay) but I dont need total adjustment so only went for basic coilovers. Stick with the big brands like FK, Blistien, H&R etc....

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
coilovers generally offer more adjustment than a sport kit as you put it,i'm presuming you mean a fixed rate spring and damper kit?i'm probably having to go coil overs as i want better damping ,but can't really lower the car much as my bumper will catch on the drive,so i'll want a more adjustable kit.
coilovers are also more moola as a rule

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
if you are thinking of going for the FK AK Kit, I was advised totally against it. They said it really wasnt that good. Go for the highsports - the next set up. Much better reviews - I have some on their way to me now :)

Russo

Second Row Forward
Sep 10, 2005
Hatfield, Herts
Pabs said:
if you are thinking of going for the FK AK Kit, I was advised totally against it. They said it really wasnt that good. Go for the highsports - the next set up. Much better reviews - I have some on their way to me now :)

Thanx for the update pabs, looks like the highline it is. Dont suppose you know how you adjust adjustable shocks? Ive been told you can fill the shocks from the air compressor machine in petrol stations, is that true or a load of tosh?

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise