Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest - time is running out to book your place at our annual get together. Free car stickers included for attendees: Find out more

Cold Start Issue

Discussion in 'Ibiza Mk4' started by leo5566, Oct 13, 2017.

1. leo5566

leo5566 Full Member

Hi Guys!

i got a pd130 thats giving me some strange issues

a while back it started taking a good 40-50 cranks to start. and once started it was fine. i noticed the tandem pump was leaking diesel. so i changed the seal and all was good for 1 week till it started doing it again.

Weather and temp is irrelevant, as you can park it up, 2-3 hours later it wont start. but if you start it within the 2 hours it will fire up no issue

One thing i noticed is if you hold full revs when you FIRST try to start it, it will fire up no problem.

i have replaced the intank fuel pump and fuel filter but still no joy

i thought diesel was leaking back into the tank over night, so i clamped the 2 diesel pipes from the tandem pump overnight to see, but still wouldnt start

Any ideas? my injectors had new seals fitted about 10k ago.

its getting embarrassing. i am a mechanic but i cant solve my own cars issue lol

2. turbod

turbod Full Member

Someone said to me that the engine has to crank at over a certain rpm before the ecu will let the engine fire up when I had a wiring problem on another pd, fixed the wiring problem ( switch wire from the ecu to the alternator and problem was solved. Maybe try a boost pack on the battery

3. leo5566

leo5566 Full Member

Thanks for suggestion buddy. but i have a audio build in the car and im running 4 AGM batteries. the engine cranks at 400RPM (logged with vag com) which should be more than enough!!

4. turbod

turbod Full Member

Sounds like you answered your own question thinking about it and reading your first post the fault must be with that tandem pump when you think about it logically.... I'm fairly novice when it comes to diesels tbh, now give me a motorcycle that's a different matter

5. leo5566

leo5566 Full Member

hmmmm. i will have to try another one then. i was hoping it wasnt at fault. but what is really left to check ?

6. turbod

turbod Full Member

You can have mine mate .... Attached to the rest of it;)

7. turbod

turbod Full Member

Sounds like fuel starvation...... But why ? Almost like there is a fuel pressure problem or air being drawn into the pressurised fuel and when you are cranking with the throttle wide open it's drawing the air out of the system or giving the fuel more pressure

8. leo5566

leo5566 Full Member

well i know their are 2 pressure relief valves. one on the pump and another in the fuel line on the filter. im going to change the pump and if no joy il go for the one on filter! this morning is started first time without any acceleration. definitely a mechanical issue here

#8 leo5566, Oct 14, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  9. turbod

turbod Full Member

It will all become clear eventually bud

10. leo5566

leo5566 Full Member

well problem solved!

few days down the line and the car started smoking large clouds of white, blue and black. all at random times

threw in 4 used injectors and problem solved. starts first time and no more smoke

to add to my luck, the engine shakes ALOT on idle. like its gonna fall apart. so one of these injectors i put is not good. runs smooth once you touch the pedal though!

will go for a set of recons!

11. turbod

turbod Full Member

12. Dan FR

Dan FR Meth addict. Stage 2+ Yo!

Sorry I didn't see this earlier, would have suggested injectors straight away :rofl:

Seen this a lot in the last few years with the 1.9 PD engines - my mates PD130 is the same at the moment but hes too tight to spend the money on it :lol:

13. leo5566

leo5566 Full Member

is their anyway of knowing which injector is causing the misfire on idle?