cold start problem + other bits

bondwithme

Hi,

Ok so here goes my 2001 tdi is a bugger to start in the cold it finally coughs into life sounding like I have just fitted a new fuel filter (cough cough etc)

I have new glow plugs and never had the problem in the summer in addition my coolant level drops under normal temp operation from max to min, holds this level until I release the cap then whoosh the level returns to max (always done this) also bottom hose never gets warm dispite a new stat, new g12, and temp sender. Heater is hot within 5 - 7 mins no airlocks

Takes a good 20 mins driving before temp reaches 90

Any ideas

Thanks in advance

2009bigchief

i had the same problem a shitty start in the mornings i just dont know whats up every morn is da same but when its op it starts na problem well anyways i got news heater plugs from halfords and the crappy firs time start problems still there wellit was up for mot and i left it with my macanic and told him about the hard start well when i went to pick it up he told me that he had to put another set f i gess original seat toledo wans he said to me that the halfords wans were only heating 3/4 ways down and its good now well it worked g8t for a few days but im afraid its back to its old way going again any ideas would b g8t i got a 2004 seat toledo 1.9tdi 110hp

bondwithme

Problems

Hi,

Firstly what is the mileage and has the cambelt been done recently? also is it a problem every morning or just when the temp is below zero? These cars only use glow plugs below 5 degrees so it wont be them.

My guess is pump timing or a worn cambelt lower pulley shaft which is changing your mechanical timing on start up. once the car is started the electronic timing will compensate.

Do you get clouds of smoke on startup? if you do this will be unburt fuel.

Basically you need to find a proper diesel engineer not your average mechanic or main dealer! Get them to check the pump timing with a laptop once its running at tick over should be around 5-6 degrees mine was 2 and the guy who fitted the cambelt screwed up by taking off the pump pulley and not aligning it properly when refitting its very common even main dealers get it wrong. Once adjusted all was well however if your lower pulley is worn on the shaft there is no cure accept a new shaft which is very costly. This can only be checked with the cambelt off. Are you near Ipswitch in suffolk?

Let me know youer answers and I will try and assist if I can

Regards

2009bigchief

hello i sent a message through hotmail im not shure it went through anyways
yea the car has just turned 70,000 miles and i noticed this problem be fore that but i didn't really care when its the first start in the morn middle f day r lying a while and its not cold either its just a crappy first start after she warms up na problem and Ur rite when it starts that first start there's a cloud f smoke its cuntish when it dis that makes it look like a bunch f scrap m in northern Ireland u were wondering and when i got the car i put a timing belt on it i cant remember what way was it before i put one on i must try as u say and get them to check the pumps timing with a laptop just in case that is the problem many thanks man

i got the car timing belt changed just shortly after i got it i cant remember how was it before i changed the belt im guessing that the cam belt u r talking about my friend had a toledo to and his turbo went so i put a oil catch can into my car if u ever heard f those it stops the turbo clogging up with soot that gets burned when oil comes into the engine from the top cover and goes into the air intake i don't realy get much oil in the catch can but i also put a wee filter on the pipe that comes out of the can and goes into the engine again to catch any extra oil and funny that works well have u got any ideas on that oil catch can if maybe thats a good idea i also cleaned out the egr valve it hat black oily shite in it to

hey i got another question my car got a aura cd player and a 6 disc changer do u have any idea where to get the wire in diagrams for the cd music system i tell u what i want to do i wana wire in a toggle switch and a new 3.5mm jack socket so i can play music on my i pod and phone i saw a page on the internet that wan lad had a 6 disc changer and he wired in a 3.5mm jack socket by a toggle switch and the music out leads from his cd player looked a g8t job he pushed cd changer button on his head unit then the head unit was playing away and he flicked over the toggle switch and played music on his i pod cool eh i wana do that sound is way better than wan f then fm transmitters wan other question those stock seat Toledo aura cd head units i dint get the radio code any ideas where on the internet to get mine without going to da dealer i looked up e bay and most f them cant do the wan in Toledo i got on on eBay that she tells me it l work the car radio is going i never disconnected the radio yet but just in case thanks man b nice to hear from u

Last edited by a moderator:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise