Cold Starting Probs/Error code

scot_bck

Hi, i have a terrible time starting my Mk 1 leon tdi. Got a friend to check for error codes and one comes up that he cant erase... 4632 Fuel Pump maximum stop. While i was there i checked the glow plugs and they arent getting any power which might explain the dodgy starting. Next step i suppose will be to check the wiring and relay which i cant find :shrug: Local mechanic reckons the relay also controls the fuel pump but if that is true surely it wouldnt go full stop???Anyone kind enough to explain in "idiot friendly" terms where this relay is. Its a 1.9 tdi se asv engine. I thought they would be near the fuse box but it started pouring with rain and i gave up.
Cheers
Scot

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
The relay plate is located behind the dash trim under the steering wheel. The relays on some of the older models are a weak point due to cheap manufacture. Its in location 10 if i can remember correctly.

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
Glowplugs don't activate until the temperature gets down to about 5deg. C. Unlikely to be glowplugs unless the issue is temperature dependant (cold) and this wasn't a symptom you volunteered.

So, a few questions. How long has this been happening? What service history does the car have? When was the cambelt last changed. Anything else you can say to explain what a "terrible time" is.

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
on some of the early vw tdi's (none pd) the engines were very dependent on the glow plug function and just would not start if they were weak or faulty. Now with vast improvements in diesel technology they are not as nessesary and as viking said - only work when the temp is very low.

scot_bck

Anything else you can say to explain what a "terrible time" is.

Sorry for the delayed reply its been in the garage for 2 weeks as i was away working. It is an earlier non pd version (asv)Service history is full stealers up to 90k with all the receipts Now at 110k with servicing from reputable local garage. Cam belt changed at just over 100k Glow plugs at around that time too. This has been getting steadily worse for about 6 months.It has been 5 degrees or less for a while now up here but it was dodgy starting in the brief glimpse of summer. It was taking 5 to ten seconds of constant turnover which crept up to 15-30 seconds of constant turnover to start or 4 or 5 shorter go's 5-10 secs followed by a lumpy tick-over 2 or 3 cylinders for a start and a plume of white smoke which covers half the street which also inevitably brings on the engine management light. This only happens when the engine is cold , Mornings and at night after its been sitting at work all day. Its ok for about 4 or 5 hours starts like it should but if its left longer till the engine gets cold its back to its worst. Only other mod is the tuning box (no difference on or off) and a dry pipercross panel filter. There is a hole by the cat which wouldn't have helped i suppose but not to the extent it is suffering. That should be fixed now so ill soon know The works fleet skodas started at minus 25 earlier this year easier :censored:
Any suggestions/help appreciated

cheers/slainte
scot

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
Temperature sender perhaps. The ecu reads the coolant temperature and when it's cold it adjusts the injection to compensate and make starting easier. If the sender is reading incorrectly then the ecu will be compensating incorrectly.

Edit: One thing I will say is that the fault code you gave in your fisrt post doesn't look like an EODB standard code, and not a VAg specific code either. I suggest a scan with VCDS if you can find someone with it close to you

Last edited:

cupra87

leon cupra tdi 150

i have a similar problem, my coil light stays on, cupra tdi 150 on 04 plate. had nothing but trouble with the car but just cant part with it. its kinda like owning an alfa.
im yet to try this site but i have been told there is a questions and answers section on cold starting etc...

www.allaboutthemoney.net

Last edited by a moderator:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.