Cold Startup - Secondary Air Pump?

bumblingfool

Just Another Number...
Nov 26, 2004
Lincoln
Hi guys

after my recent cambelt change ive had two problems with my car (well probably one!)

On a cold start the secondary air pump doesnt seem to run (used to sound like a hoover for 30 secs or so) but instead there is what i can only describe as a cackling noise. This noise stops once the engine is warm. I have no error lights on the dash and the car seems to be running as normal.

Now is there a way of testing the pump? and is it related in any way to a cambelt and water pump change?? Need a service in feb and dont really want to see the dealers until then!! Any help would be good cos i know these pumps are expensive.

Tallpaul

Jul 2, 2005
it's easy to test the pump. it's the corregated hose that runs from the bottom of the front of the engine, up into your airbox. Whip the hose off the airbox and see if any air is being pumped out of it when you start the car.

bumblingfool

Just Another Number...
Nov 26, 2004
Lincoln
ahhh words of wizdom. i'll give it a go on friday, i take it the pump is electric, will it run off the normal fusebox in the drivers door? i.e. if it isnt pumping is the only cause that its knackered??

Tallpaul

Jul 2, 2005
hmmm, not sure if it's electric. I would have thought it ran off the drive belt. In which case something may have been dislodged/damaged/not re-connected when they changed your cambelt.

bumblingfool

Just Another Number...
Nov 26, 2004
Lincoln
thats what i want to hear... a cost free solution to blame on some one else......

im pretty sure in my head that it worked the day i took it in and it didnt when i got it back so that would make sense. the pump itself is on the exhaust right?? would it be easy for me to check the connections to it ? i dont want to rely on a garage cos they are usually all :w4nk:

cheers for the help,

Tallpaul

Jul 2, 2005
on the exhaust?

no, exhaust bolts onto the turbo outlet. No idea exactly where the pump is... Just follow the hose, it's at the bottom of the engine somewhere?

Tallpaul

Jul 2, 2005
just done some looking on ETKA, turns out the pump is electric!

so perhaps it was damaged/disconnected?

bumblingfool

Just Another Number...
Nov 26, 2004
Lincoln
interesting... thanks for taking the time to look, id be pretty stumped without ya help, got the day off tomm so i can have a good look. will check through fuses + try and trace cables from the pump. im just hoping its something easy / cheap.

wouldve thought the pump not working would bring up an error light though, or would it just log a code?

cheers again!

dsrr

Oct 23, 2004
bumblingfool said:
interesting... thanks for taking the time to look, id be pretty stumped without ya help, got the day off tomm so i can have a good look. will check through fuses + try and trace cables from the pump. im just hoping its something easy / cheap.

wouldve thought the pump not working would bring up an error light though, or would it just log a code?

cheers again!

Hi, the pump is electric and is a weak point on VAG cars I had mine replaced under warranty on my Octy vRS, it is situated ( assuming that you have a 1.8T not an LCR) slightly off to the Offside, between the radiator and the block at approx bumper height or just below, it is a big black plastic thing that looks like a dustbin with hoses coming out of it. Mine was knackered and did not show any check lights, it only made the screaming noise when it was on cold start up so ended up leaving it at the dealers for a couple of days to get it sorted, which I'm pleased to say they did!
If you have any problems finding it, Ill see if Ican get a photo of it on the octy and post it if required

Dave

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise