Cold Weather Creaks

richardh

Mar 24, 2005
In the current cold weather I've noticed that my Altea's dashboard creaks "like an old ship in a storm" (from where the dash meets the base of the screen and around the A pillars) until the cabin gets warm. A consequence I assume of the firm ride (on 17" alloys), cheap plastics and so-so build. Anyone else have similar issues?

aceman

May 6, 2002
West Yorkshire
Visit site
SNAP !!

I get exactly the same and I am on the standard 16" alloys. It's a minor irritation I can put up with through the winter as I think to attempt to cure it would be a dash out job and I am not about to ask my dealer to do that as it would probably generate more creaks than it does now. Generally though I think the Altea cabin is creak free it's only in the last couple of weeks when the temperature has dropped below freezing that this problem has occurred.

Gilrick

Nov 26, 2003
East Yorkshire
Visit site
richardh said:
In the current cold weather I've noticed that my Altea's dashboard creaks "like an old ship in a storm" (from where the dash meets the base of the screen and around the A pillars) until the cabin gets warm. A consequence I assume of the firm ride (on 17" alloys), cheap plastics and so-so build. Anyone else have similar issues?

Yes got exactly the same. Sounds like the whole thing would shatter if you drove over anything seriously bumpy. I think the alot of it comes from the air vent surrounds, they seem very brittle when it's cold. :(

ALTEA DUDE

2.0 TDi Sport
Sep 14, 2005
Cant say I can report this problem with mine. And I definately do not agree that it has "so-so" build quality. After a string of Japanese cars (supposedly the best built ones), I find my Altea the most solidly put together car I've ever owned.

Mind you, maybe I'd better wait until the "worst winter in years" is over and see how many bits drop off..... ;)

Tell

Staff member
Well I don't reckon you'll have problems starting the engine.

Having had a couple of Japanese rentals in NZ and Fiji, those Jap cars are pretty crappy. The door don't go with a clunk, just a tin rattle click. The ride is terrible and bouncy and bits fall of the cars.

My Altea was put together very well. I was offered a "fast build" one when it was going to be supplied with the rear parking sensors not fitted, they had dropped this off the companies order to the factory. I thought "fast build", I'll have one built at normal speed tar, and got the garage to fit the parking sensors. Have not regretted it.

greeny

Jul 23, 2001
Hants
Visit site
Yep my dash is creaking like mad since the cold weather. My old Leon was just the same.

I have learnt to live with it as trying sort the rattles tends to involve dashboard removal which creates even more rattles than before.

I find that tyre roar tends to drown out the rattles most of the time :D

richardh

Mar 24, 2005
Looks like the cold weather creak thing is a design issue and not something specific to my car. Like you guys I can live with it but it's still dissapointing on a new car.

hibitdat

Leon FR TDI 150 Plat Grey
Sep 30, 2004
Dorset
Mine too!

I put it down to the fact that the dash materials and construction are poor, especially for an expensive hatch. Frankly a cheaper Megane, Focus or even something like a Fabia has a far better feel, fit and finish than any of the Altea's I've seen, mine included. If I had one major complaint about it this would be it - I have seen current shape Leon and Toledo owners being put off a new Altea, Leon or Tollie because of this and compared to the nice slush moudled dash of old I don't blame them. Sadly the heating/defrosting/demisting are also woefully poor for a modern car - not only has my Sport TDI not got heated mirrors (the much cheaper Cordoba I had before did!) but it takes an Age to heat up and clear on these frosty mornings. Not impressed!

hibitdat

Leon FR TDI 150 Plat Grey
Sep 30, 2004
Dorset
Hi Aceman - just read your post - you are lucky to have a creak free one, my Sport 2.0 Tdi on standard 16" wheels is now full of rattles, creaks and groans - it's only done 17,000 miles (its a 54 reg) so I am not overly chuffed!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise