Coming to end of lease...

markm49uk

Oct 15, 2015
Hull,UK
My lease ends in 6 months time so I need to start looking around at options. I currently drive a 2016 Ibiza 1.4 EcoTSI FR. This thing puts out 150bhp and has so much torque it’s like driving a diesel. I love the speed of the thing with 0-62 in 7.6 - it really does shift.

So I like the look of the new Ibiza, more grown up and slightly larger which would be welcome. However, where are the fast FR models - there is no way I can drop down to a 1.0 or even 1.2. Way too slow (when you are used to the 1.5 anyway). Do they not make the 1.4/1.5 any longer?

Any help appreciated.

Stagsfell

Feb 16, 2015
The 1.5 tsi is widely used in VW Group cars, but afaik at the moment the only supermini with it available is the Audi A1. It seems to have appeared and disappeared from the Ibiza and Polo, there are certainly members of this forum who managed to get one when it was briefly available.

Like you, I wanted a bit more than 115ps so am currently in a 140ps Fiesta, but will certainly look again at the Ibiza when the time comes to change (if they have sorted the engine availability).

I was looking in the Audi dealers the other day - they had an A1 S-Line in the showroom, with the 1.5 (manual) and very few extras and that was stickered at over £25k and I don't think the interior was any better than the Ibiza FR. You can get the "basic" (a mere 250ps) Hyundai i30N with a lot more kit and 5 year warranty for that sort of money!

markm49uk

Oct 15, 2015
Hull,UK
That’s disappointing as I really like the look of the new model. Might have to look elsewhere unfortunately- a real shame as the Ibiza has been an amazing little car.

SilverPilgrim

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Yeah it's a shame that the 1.5 TSI Ibiza has been pulled. It was such a sweet setup that I guess it was hurting sales of the next class up in the VAG group (Leon/Golf etc).

The Leon is available in 1.4 / 1.5 TSI configuration if that is something you would consider?

farrar

Mar 18, 2005
Yeah it's a shame that the 1.5 TSI Ibiza has been pulled. It was such a sweet setup that I guess it was hurting sales of the next class up in the VAG group (Leon/Golf etc).

I thought it was pulled because they couldn't get enough 1.5 TSI engines.

I'm pretty happy with my 1.5 TSI Ibiza, I got most of the extras so you can't even get an Ibiza FR with all the stuff I've got now.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
I thought it was pulled because they couldn't get enough 1.5 TSI engines.

This..the demand for the 1.5 TSI has increased and it's probably the most popular VAG engine since dieselgate + fact that some european cities are going to tax/ban diesels. A work collegue who ordered the VW T-ROC 1.5TSI, had the expected date moved from Aug, to Sept, to Oct, and now the dealer kind of hinting, might be best to look at other makes/engines. Might end up with a Tiguain 1.5 (already made), or BMW X1 2.0 Sport...

vc-10

Mar 29, 2016
The diesel market has dropped off, and it's taken VAG too long to switch production over to other engines, most notably the 1.5 TSI which is taking up a lot of the slack from the 1.6 and 2.0 TDI engines. The 1.0 TSI has taken some of it, but the 1.5 is more under pressure.

It's not as simple as just switching to building petrols. While the actual production line could probably switch over relatively quickly and easily, the suppliers who provide all the components will be a lot more complicated.

This is similar pain to what Boeing are experiencing right now- they are unable to sell the 737 MAX, and they can't switch production back to the old 737 NG models because of all the suppliers and the backlog of components.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Having owned both the 2.0TDI 150 and the 1.0 EcoTSI 110, both their mpgs in real world driving is near identical from my experience.
Only on longer highway journies the 2.0TDI could get 2-3 more mpg...but in the city, it's down by 2-3 mpg like for like.

vc-10

Mar 29, 2016
The diesel has a bit more get up and go though. Can't complain about the performance of my 1.0, but it's not got the punch a 2.0 TDI would in an Ibiza!

SilverPilgrim

Apr 3, 2019
UK
The diesel has a bit more get up and go though. Can't complain about the performance of my 1.0, but it's not got the punch a 2.0 TDI would in an Ibiza!

Very true that. The Mk4 Ibiza came with the 2.0 TDI in both FR and Cupra trim. 140 / 160 PS in stock form. Loads of torque and it could be mapped up to some really nice power figures. A heavy lump of an engine though so it had an impact on the handling characteristics.

The 1.4 / 1.5 TSI engines probably give the best balance of real world shove and fuel economy for the Ibiza. The 1.8 TSI in the Mk5 Cupra is an awesome engine too and can be economical but you're not buying a Cupra for the fuel economy...

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Agreed with that 'shove in the back' feeling at any gear even from under 2k rpms on the 2.0TDI 150, in fact, I was convinced it was remapped (this was my first experience owning and driving a diesel) due the the amount of go it had, but it wasn't. Then I had the 1.0TSI 110 in the Ibiza, not bad, but no shove...now I have a Volvo V40 with 152PS, still more shove than 1.0TSI, but despite 'peak torque' coming at 1750rpm, but only 250Nm, not the 320Nm on the 2.0TDI. Ahh i miss that feeling..

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.