Common Mk4 Problems

Spooky211

Dec 13, 2010
Glasgow
Has anyone not had any problems with their MK4? I'm pretty close to buying myself a Cupra PD160 but this thread is making me wonder wether its such a good idea!

digby130?

pocket rocket
Aug 10, 2008
exeter/london
every car is going to have problems!
dont be put off, just make sure its been serviced properly and theres no strange sounds :)
the engines will go on and on so dont worry about mileage :)

Spooky211

Dec 13, 2010
Glasgow
every car is going to have problems!
dont be put off, just make sure its been serviced properly and theres no strange sounds :)
the engines will go on and on so dont worry about mileage :)

cheers mate...the only thing is putting me off at the moment is the Cupra's unbelievably harsh ride - the roads up here arent what you'd call smooth!

timboo

sorry if this is a slight repeated question however i have searched on the site, i have a ibiza cupra tdi and the steering pulls to the left i found on here somewhere it is common. What part causes this if anyone knows?

thanks

tim

Last edited by a moderator:

colin76

Has anyone not had any problems with their MK4? I'm pretty close to buying myself a Cupra PD160 but this thread is making me wonder wether its such a good idea!

The wife has a Cupra TDI- she loves the car, and the boy racers get a big surprise when they cant keep up:).

mattvw

My lovely car!

I bought my Ibiza from new (53 Plate). I have FSH, but since I have owned it I've had the following problems:

1) Radiator Fan failed - Replaced under Warranty
2) 2 Coil packs replaced
3) 2 Lambda sensors replaced
4) Oxygen sensor replaced
5) Cam timing sensor replaced
6) Both front suspension springs snapped (at different times)
7) Rear washer problem
8) Heating thermostat replaced - only had either cold or inferno!
9) Misty Headlights
10) Regular emissions ECU faults - Dealership and 3 independants cannot find fault
11) OSR stereo speaker no longer works
12) Interior light switch on drivers door failed
13) Clunking noise when reversing
14) Suspension bushes need replacing
15) Windscreen wipers seized
16) Aircon steel pipe has a hole in it, they want a small fortune to fix!
17) 'Car wash safe' aeriel ripped off in carwash!
18) Starter motor replaced
19) Internal blower fan intermittantly sounds as if it is catching something, giving the most annoying sound ever.
20) Rear light cluster filled up with water

On a more positive note, nothing has gone wrong this week!

timboo

wow i can pick only one of those so far

the lights fogging up lol I'm sure looking at your list though i may get several of those namely the bushes as the suspension is very firm on mine.

jpcibiza90

Oct 19, 2008
scarborough
impressive list! what engine is yours? my list is nearly as long now. il give it a go.
iv had my 1.4 100bhp for nearly 3 years bought it with 28k n now on just hitting 50k
new starter motor
window cable clip snapped causing window to fall down
lost 5th gear n pulled some plastic out of gearbox n now it whistles in 5th
rear screen wash pisssed all over my boot
front arb bushes changed
replaced front cat coz flexi bit was broke
removed central scilencer
passenger seat calbe snapped so doesnt fold
cup holder broke in dashboard :(
erg valve wire was snapped causing engine light to be on
screw in my month old ******* toyo proxes!! right on edge too
my reverse light has just started flickering n now its gone?
hmm im sure theres more but i canny remember

mattvw

:cry::cry:1.2. It's got a decent amount of poke for such a small engine...however, driving home today the ECM light of doom has reappeared.

It's something to do with the emissions. I think it's all pointing to the CAT.

I think the coil problem a few years ago allowed unburnt fuel into it, thus damaging it.

Ho Hum...

RaggedLob

The worst is yet to come
Mar 29, 2009
Thatcham, Berkshire
Have had same problem as above on my early 1.2, ignored my emissions light for ages thinking it was just an O2 sensor, turned out to be one of the lambdas.

This threw the fuel/air mix out, cutting power with rough running, and dumping unburnt fuel into the cat, completely killing it.

In the 10k miles i've done in it over the year since i passed my test, i've had:

Timing chain replaced
Temp sensor replaced
Lambda probe replaced
Cat/ manifold replaced at horrific cost
fuel rail blocked by leaves and gunk, somehow, non starter :S
coil 1 failure
coil 2 failure
microswitch in drivers door gone
squeaking rear drums, replaced shoes, seems to have just got worse
front bushes
front ARB
squeaking starter motor brushes lubed, still makes noise
crank oil seal leaking
savage trim rattles, gonna stuff everywhere with loft insulation if i get a chance
probably more, i've lost the will to remember

Not a bad car in ANY way, just do as much as you can to avoid touching anything before 2003/ 04, as they slowly ironed out all the problems. Me? well i'm stuck with all my money in the car and not in my wallet:headhurt:

katanga

i had this problem with mine (fuel gauge) its linked with the outside temp guage, it would go blank and then the fuel would drop, when the guage came back on i knew if i turned the engine off and back on it would work again, got to the stage it wouldnt work for weeks at a time, SEAT couldnt fix it, other garages couldnt fix it.... so i got shot of it!

i've got exactly the same problem with my wifes 03 130sport tdi.fuel gauge works then doesn't just recently it hardly works at all! at the same time this started the outside temp. gauge started being wierd,reading kept changing and then would go blank,it still works now and again but most of the time its blank!
any help or ideas would be much appreciated as my wife loves the car and we're not in a financial position to change it.:help:

I have had this problem for around 9 months and it is starting to do my head in [:@]. I have been told its a dashboard repair? Can anybody offer some advice :help:

gemmalouise24

got meself an 06 1.4s ibiza......owned for around 4 months.

MAJOR issues with condensation in headlights, seems to be a common problem?

also got a very odd knocking coming from under the steering wheel, pulled everything out thinking maybe a loose screw or something but not found anything as of yet.

apart from that all seems ok as of yet.

BUT THOSE HEADLIGHTS ARE DOING MY HEAD IN, dont even know why they are getting such bad condensation!!

andy17

PD100
May 20, 2009
Southport
got meself an 06 1.4s ibiza......owned for around 4 months.

MAJOR issues with condensation in headlights, seems to be a common problem?

also got a very odd knocking coming from under the steering wheel, pulled everything out thinking maybe a loose screw or something but not found anything as of yet.

apart from that all seems ok as of yet.

BUT THOSE HEADLIGHTS ARE DOING MY HEAD IN, dont even know why they are getting such bad condensation!!

Might be worth checking the seals on the back of the lights

Also try some silica packs and/or taking the headlight out all together in the summer and leaving them out to 'dry'

It is a common problem and a pain in the arse

mick-fr

Mégane F1 R26..
Dec 1, 2009
At a Shell garage..
Drill a few holes in the headlight covers (The ones you remove to change a bulb).. This is what a lot of folk have done, including myself, and its worked a treat!

gorebrush

Sep 18, 2006
South Wales
broody herr, some of you have had some problems :|

I had a Mk4 FR from the end of 06 to the very beginning of 09, did 50,000 miles and had the following: -

1. Broke a wheel bearing - took SEAT a month to replace, but I had a courtesy car. Back in those days I did 400 miles a week, so it saved me 2K of tyre wear on my own car. (warranty)
2. Misted headlights, but I hear this is a common problem anyway
3. Pissed in rear spare wheel space (washer jet broke, fixed under warranty)

I'm about to go and get another FR too...

rich4928

hi,got a 1.2 2002 model engine management light come on then engine dies through power loss had it put on fault diag came up with egr valve garage told me a quick fix of disconecting egr valve- engine light will stay on but car will drive fine then just replace egr valve when can

didnt know if anyone else tried this --- it got my car back on the road again anyway

DAZ-FR20vt

Problems I've had so far in the 4months of owning my ibiza fr,
Rear washer not working
interior light not working
MAJOR condensation in the headlight[:@]

Does the holes in the headlight covers at the back really work?

collikiller

coil packs

ive had to replace coil packs about 5 times. it seems to have fixed itself but never got to th bottom of what caused them to fail.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.