Common Mk4 Problems

The Ginge

Black Magic 2003 SEAT Ibiza 3 Door TDi Sport 130 with Leather Seats

Just had done:

* New front wishbone bushes
* New rear wiper motor
* Cam belt (But that was standard 55K job)

Under warranty a couple of years ago, a new Air Con Compresser (Car barely 2 years old at that point) and also a new radiator as it was leaking coolant.

Making me think at the moment that I might go for a Honda Civic Type S next time! Will it win my money over a TDi Cupra?!?!?!

Yella Beeza

Now which way?
Jun 4, 2007
Edinburgh
I'll have to be careful when I say this (touch wood!) - but my FR TDi hasn't had to go back for any repairs (yet?). New March 07.

Sorted out the loose trim behind the pedal box myself, and, yes, it has misting inside the headlamps but provided the covers on the back are vented properly this shouldn't be an issue.

Also a few blemishes on the bonnet caused by not being sprayed properly, but having done concours d'elegance shows for a number of years in the 1990's I sorted this out myself.:)

kris_tdi

Mar 26, 2007
Not on tick over or if you push throttle on still, seems to happen when engine under load. Someone suggested a gasket on turbo and the bolts being lose?

i have exactly this same problem, did you manage to find out what it was?

mine only does it when driving, i cant replicate it when the car is stationary.

Mr.SeZ

Jan 18, 2007
hi people, i used 2 have a mk2 4 a couple of months. sold it and now have a 05 ibiza cupra. since i have had i have been back 2 the dealer 3 times in as many months.

1) seal gone on head light.
2) a bracket on exhaust and manifold needed replacing, causing a knocking noise
3) paint peeling off fog light surround

all sorted under warranty. anyone else had similar problems?

Monkey_Boy

So far I have had 3 MK4s.
'53 plate 1.4S - Dashboard lights flickering - Warranty repair - common fault
'02 plate 1.9TDI (100) - Front suspension bushes disintegrated (Never had it fixed - would have been £200+); Air conditioning either v.hot or v.cold (warranty repair) also regassed air con for free!; air bag warning light constantly flashing - never repaired; dashboard lights flickering (warranty repair).
'06 plate TDI Cupra - Rear window washer pipe disconnected; Fog in headlights (Warranty replacement); Front driver's sun visor snapped (Warranty replacement - took 4 weeks to get the part); Rattling from Turbo (Replaced bolts); rattling from behind dashboard (They can't find it yet!).

Still love these cars though, esp the cupra!

nealo

Oct 12, 2007
Guisborough
had a 1.2 from new for 3 and a half years and the ECU packed up after 3weeks. that got replaced under warranty and the rest of the 3.5yrs was trouble free apart from the usual rear washer spraying water into the boot thing!

bought my tdi cupra new last year and so far the following problems have occurred :-( but all fixed under warranty.
- electric folding (convenience pack option) o/s door mirror broke - when openeing the mirrors out this one wouldn't stop, and would fold back on itself. the whole unit was replaced.
- turbo pipe split causing very loud hissing and lots of black soot!!
- vacuum hose assembly broke so couldn't brake properly. not a good thing!
- emissions light came on now and again.
- numerous rattles.
- it was recalled to check that the airbag controller was correct and that the correct airbag would go off if needed!! worrying!
- passenger seat doesn't lock back in place properly when you let someone in the back, unless someone sits in it. - this one has yet to be sorted as i forgot to mention it last time i was at the garage.

so more has gone wrong on the cupra than the 1.2, but i don't care its still a lovely car!!

nealo

Oct 12, 2007
Guisborough
So far I have had 3 MK4s.
'53 plate 1.4S - Dashboard lights flickering - Warranty repair - common fault
'02 plate 1.9TDI (100) - Front suspension bushes disintegrated (Never had it fixed - would have been £200+); Air conditioning either v.hot or v.cold (warranty repair) also regassed air con for free!; air bag warning light constantly flashing - never repaired; dashboard lights flickering (warranty repair).
'06 plate TDI Cupra - Rear window washer pipe disconnected; Fog in headlights (Warranty replacement); Front driver's sun visor snapped (Warranty replacement - took 4 weeks to get the part); Rattling from Turbo (Replaced bolts); rattling from behind dashboard (They can't find it yet!).

Still love these cars though, esp the cupra!

rattling behind dashboard - mine had this. i thought it was behind the dashboard too. its actually the air intake right at the front of the car - you'll see its a bit loose - just needs a cable tie round it ;-)

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007
Got my 07 ibiza sport in June:
So far it has only had misting up headlights but these were ordered on 17th Sept and i am still waiting for them to arrive! Not impressed!

Deleted member 7040

Mine has been the following,

Airbag slip ring = 4 times its been replaced over the last 3 years (bought from new) under warranty. The 4th time has been today but told that if it does it again then its a new airbag.

Suspension = shock absorbers, top mounts, drop link, greasing, again under warranty over 4 visits

CV boot, warranty

Turbo intercooler pipe nearly came off, now cable tied

Other than that its been ok, had a few rattles, bulbs seem to blow quick, oh and the back discs creek when getting in and out of the car, other than that nothing major.

Lordy

Hello everyone, new to the forum and am after a bit of advice.

Have had a '52 1.2 Ibiza for about 4 months now, no problems until I had put it in to have it's annual service.

All was good until they tried to start it the next day and it was dead! They tried everything, and to cut a long story short, the timing belt had slipped!!(after a week of trying to figure out what was wrong!!!)

Cost £480 to fix it:censored::censored: Have spoken to SEAT regarding payment for the problem, and they have come back and said they will not pay a penny as the repairs were not carried out at a SEAT dealership!!

Am absolutley furious as SEAT knew all along that is wasn't at a dealership!

Can someone confirm that the chain slipping is a SEAT design fault and that SEAT knew about the problem, hence they have issued a modified part!!

If so can someone give me reference I could use regarding the design fault and has anyone had any success in claiming back any money from SEAT.

Thanks for you help, Lordy

OFX

Hello I am a new but old user i had a 1.4 mk4 ibiza untill i broke it by smaking it to a nother car any to cut a long story shorti now bouth a new cupra 1.8t i picked it up on 25 october i had so many problems i cant belive how they can sell these cars like this first when i whent to pick it up i noticed that it had a 6 speed gear nob and i was shore they are 5 speed and when i asked the sales rep he said they made some changes to the 08 model whic was the model i was getting and on the way back home from the dealers i found out i could not get it in to 6th gear when i phoned them 10 min from picking it up they said that they made a mistake and they will order me a new 5 speed gear nob its been 2 months and still now show. Now i have other problems as well 1- the rev nedle keeps moving on its own verry little on iddle 2- there is a very squcing noise when on full lock 3- when you put the cluch down there is a metal rubbing noise 4- under seal wasnt done properly 5-cople of srews missing from the mud guard and so on it hase been nothing but a joke this car it was spose to be brand new not second hand when i spoke to seat uk abouth the problems they said in so many words we dont care it is between you and the dealer wick i will advise and one not to buy a new seat from seat sidcup or bromley they are a joke or any wj king groupe i am trying to resolve these problems at the moment and i will let you now how i got on but any advice will be help full [:@]

OFX

does any one know how can these people be reported to so this cind of thing dont happen again to any one. thank you

chris04 sx

speak up & stop mumbling
Apr 23, 2007
Horsham, W.Sussex
I agree, my local seat dealer is rubbish, sales and reception that is. 8/10 for the parts department, but sales and service side are rubish. they don't care about anyones problems.

my advice is go to another garage for ur mud flat screws and noises.

OFX

problem solved

i manged to get the problems solved by another dealer and they the most helfull dealer that i have seen they let me come in the work shop and look and show them what was the problems and they showed me why it will couse it first they changed the cv boots from rubber to plastick that was the first noise the scoond problem which was the engine movement it was that they put a stablising bar on the back of the engine they said with out it it will brake the manifod and exhaust and the other prublems like the mud guard and under seal i done it my self being in the trade my self. the gear nob i am still waiting for.

Nov 6, 2007
Newark
Had my ibiza for 2 weeks when I got it pulling to the left. They switched the wheels around. Passanger door handle stayed open, some lube sorted that and the gas peddle sqeeks

Mr.SeZ

Jan 18, 2007
my boot wont open at all. whats that all about!!!!its goin back on the 18th 2 get it sorted.

yellowdan05

My 05 niggles .

Day1. Car went in to limp mode, Something to do with the ECU ?
had to phone Seat Asstance as it was a saturday after 12 dealer shut. got courtsy car untill mine fixed 2 days later FIXED on warrantry

Normal rear washer FIXED on warrantry
Rear window smashed as i was on the M60 car park the heated screen was on... no other reason .. (got fixed on my Insurance).

36,000miles took it in for checks before the warranty ran out
New front wishbone bushes FIXED on warrantry
Door seal around both doors gone brittle and rubbed away paintwork to the metal, replaced door seals and new paint.
Airbag light on Fixed.

I also got a few bumps pulled out (for a few quid) well worth it, they also touched up all the stone chips....

Various other niggles but everything FIXED on warrantry which i expected.

New front grill as the dog missshaped the old one
New crome mirrors fitted for free

David Cooks (Oldham) good dealer an always help out :D

Merry crimbo to All :p

Tom B

Apr 2, 2002
Northampton
In my Cupra I have a knocking noise coming from the dash on the nearside, I guess it could be the rear wishbone bush, but surely not at 11k? I had the same noise in my old 85k Ibiza 130 and I put it down to it being a crock.

Also, Cupras seem to pull to the left, don't know why but all of them seem to do it.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise