Complete respray required?- Faded Ovni

bud-weis

Jan 27, 2008
I'm fairly sure i'm going to have to respray my faded onvi yellow LCR.....i'm not sure of the cost yet, but what chance do i have with getting some of the cost off SEAT UK??

there is a slight bit of corrosion on the passenger side rear door that may help my case too.

anybody had any joy with this??

i personally think it's disgraceful that a 5/6 yr old car can fade like this!!

i've had 20yr old fords with much better paint!!

Last edited by a moderator:

caveo

there are some good products out there to restore your paintwork have a look in the detailing threads. Im looking at getting a meguires machine polisher to correct the paintwork

bud-weis

Jan 27, 2008
there are some good products out there to restore your paintwork have a look in the detailing threads. Im looking at getting a meguires machine polisher to correct the paintwork

Got them, tried them, didn't work :(

caveo

then a GOOD respray will cost 1500 notes or more....and this is one thing you cant skimp on

OFI

Sep 5, 2007
Salisbury
I'd be surprised if you car is faded beyond restoration, are you sure you are using the products properly? Might be worth getting a pro detailer to look at it.

Anyone ever had a boot resprayed? :p Pretty small panel in the scheme of things, but mine is pretty bad I think it has had a bike rack mounted on it at some point and in one small area worn it to bare metal so would need stripping right back...
Need to go and get a quote really but i'm dreading them saying £300 to 400 lol

bcstudent

Boost FTW
Apr 17, 2005
Norwich, UK
There was a geezer from this forum who managed to restore his very-faded Ovni Leon using a clay bar and lots of elbow grease.

cuprascott

Leon FR DSG 150 Tdi
Nov 28, 2006
I'd be surprised if you car is faded beyond restoration, are you sure you are using the products properly? Might be worth getting a pro detailer to look at it.

Anyone ever had a boot resprayed? :p Pretty small panel in the scheme of things, but mine is pretty bad I think it has had a bike rack mounted on it at some point and in one small area worn it to bare metal so would need stripping right back...
Need to go and get a quote really but i'm dreading them saying £300 to 400 lol

got my LC rear bumper sprayed after some silly coo drove into me cost £150 for the job. it was black magic metallic. The body shop did an outstanding job colour match was perfect.

bud-weis

Jan 27, 2008
The problem will definitely NOT be polished away...that is 100% certain, my only option is a full respray!

i have had one quote of £1500...just waiting on another.

bud-weis

Jan 27, 2008
Why not!?

Can we see pics please?

Because the colour has faded BENEATH the lacquer....meaning the only way to fix it is to either remove the lacquer and polish the faded paint ( a daft idea ) or to respray the car ( the chosen idea lol ).

I have seen the pics of the restored ovni yellow LCR, and tbh i'm a little sceptical as to how it's been achieved....

there's some pics on another thread...but tbh it's just the same as most faded yellow R's, the lacquer is smooth and shiny..the paint is thin, cheap and ****!

not impressed with the paintwork one bit, love the car though:D

bud-weis

Jan 27, 2008
Mk2 Yellow ( Cromo??)

Is the new shape Leon Cupra colour called Cromo? ( the yellow colour )...and is it much different to ovni?

i'm having the Leon painted and from what i've seen the new colour is slightly 'nicer'....so i'm thinking of using that instead, trouble is i'm not having the engine bay or door shuts done, so if it's too different it'll look shite ( so i won't bother ).

anyone have a side by side pic?:D

bcstudent

Boost FTW
Apr 17, 2005
Norwich, UK
I'm going to stick my neck out and say I very-much doubt it needs a £1500 respray to sort it. No, I haven't seen the car but I'd be trying everything possible before I half considered a respray. Have you tried a clay bar, out of interest?

bud-weis

Jan 27, 2008
I'm going to stick my neck out and say I very-much doubt it needs a £1500 respray to sort it. No, I haven't seen the car but I'd be trying everything possible before I half considered a respray. Have you tried a clay bar, out of interest?

Your neck will be sticking out very far then! do you actually know what a clay bar is??

All it does it remove bonded contaminants from paintwork, to ensure as clean a surface as possible before polishing...

I have tried Menzerna power gloss compound with my porter cable.
i have tried the same with my rotary.
A makita with G3 compound has been tried too.

NONE will work :(

respray IS required!

bcstudent

Boost FTW
Apr 17, 2005
Norwich, UK
Of course I know what a clay bar is; it was just a question. I suppose it's fair to say that if a Porter Cable isn't doing the job then it's in a fairly sorry state.

Assuming you do end up respraying it, are you planning on sticking with the same colour?

bud-weis

Jan 27, 2008
Of course I know what a clay bar is; it was just a question. I suppose it's fair to say that if a Porter Cable isn't doing the job then it's in a fairly sorry state.

Assuming you do end up respraying it, are you planning on sticking with the same colour?

sorry mate, didn't mean it like it came out.

I will stick with the same colour, although possibly a slightly different shade maybe.:D