"Component protection active" ?

Zippy

Jul 4, 2017
Got the car earlier, started and drove off went to change the screen to radio and noticed that across the top of the screen was the message "Component protection active".

I couldn't get any volume from the radio or media but the phone worked fine.

After about 5 miles the message disappeared and I could listen to the radio.

Any idea what was going on?

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Got the car earlier, started and drove off went to change the screen to radio and noticed that across the top of the screen was the message "Component protection active".

I couldn't get any volume from the radio or media but the phone worked fine.

After about 5 miles the message disappeared and I could listen to the radio.

Any idea what was going on?

Have you had the head unit or another electronic part off the car recently ?

It sounds like the ecu was not recognising the inbuilt code of some part so it refused to work with it.

seatgraham

Feb 14, 2012
Have you had the head unit or another electronic part off the car recently ?

It sounds like the ecu was not recognising the inbuilt code of some part so it refused to work with it.

Possibly. Or the infotainment unit didn’t like that track that was about to play in the radio. The computers are taking over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zippy

Jul 4, 2017
Deano - no changes, the car is only a couple of months old.

Seatgraham - well it was Steve (love the show) Wright so maybe the computer has better taste than me.:)

seatgraham

Feb 14, 2012
Probably unlikely, but might be an issue with battery? Battery might be a bit low and driving for a few minutes might have given it a bit of a boost?

If if happens again, maybe get it checked for any fault codes. Or switch it off and on again;)

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
This is to stop people selling stolen headunits etc now. you need to take it to nearest dealers.

Zippy

Jul 4, 2017
Went out today and everything is normal, radio, media and navigation all worked fine.

Appreciate what your saying Andrew but I know how difficult/impossible intermittent faults are to fix.
For now I'll just wait to see if it happens again before bothering the dealer.

Many thanks to all that replied it's really appreciated.

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
If the message does come back again get it straight back in to the dealer, take a picture of the message just in case it clears again.

it could just be a wire loose that is causing it.

ConnorDuff

Jan 3, 2018
Will need to be plugged into Odis and have a test plan run on it so the ECU knows it's meant to be there. Just a safety/security measure put in place