Condensation in Lights

maddest_cow_eva

:confused:
Help me!

I've had my Ibiza Sport for about 3 weeks now and the condensation in the lights is pi$$ing me right off. Does anyone else suffer from this and has found a solution?! I went to my local garage to ask about it and was told to 'look at it as a feature not a fault' as you can imagine I'm spending over £9300 on it and that comment didn't go down to well!!!

Please help me!

Last edited by a moderator:

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
:wave: Welcome.

It's a common fault apparently, but some people have had more luck than others getting it fixed and the heat from the lights being on will burn it off in no time. As Al said above, the search function may prove useful in getting more info though.

maddest_cow_eva

At least you call it a fault and not a feature :)

Sadly mine doesn't seem to burn off, I was driving it for 45mins ish with the lights on and it was still there when I got back home. I guess I'm either going to have to learn to love it or take it to the top!!!

Ol' Timer

Jun 20, 2004
Norfolk
I had one headlight on mine really badly affected by condensation while all the other lights were completely clear. When I asked the dealer about it they said it was due to changes in atmospheric conditions, as the lights are not sealed units, and that they had the same thing happen to their Audis and VWs. They said it was definitely not a warranty issue.

I cleared mine by removing one of the bulbs and applying gentle heat to the lens. It took three goes though and I finally cured it (for the time being anyway) by leaving the bulb out while the car was parked in the sun on a warm, dry day. Not easy at this time of year. Good luck!

T. Spark

Show off :p Us Mk4er's!

Id take it back, get new headlights.....

I know a few people have tried using them condensation bag thingy's to try and get rid off it, dunno if it helps...

Oh and as people said.. searching will bring up LOADS on this subject!!

maddest_cow_eva

I'm worried about whats going to happen when it freezes up in winter.

Condensation bag thingy's???

I checked out the whole searching thing, but it seems although quite a few people are battling with the problem a solution has not yet been found. Someone did suggest holding a hair dryer to it, can just picture the look on my neighbours face if I try that one!!

They won't give me new head lights, not under warranty apparently. You'd think they'd just create sealed units in the first place! :shrug:

Ol' Timer

Jun 20, 2004
Norfolk
maddest_cow_eva said:
I'm worried about whats going to happen when it freezes up in winter.

Condensation bag thingy's???

I checked out the whole searching thing, but it seems although quite a few people are battling with the problem a solution has not yet been found. Someone did suggest holding a hair dryer to it, can just picture the look on my neighbours face if I try that one!!

They won't give me new head lights, not under warranty apparently. You'd think they'd just create sealed units in the first place! :shrug:

I think "Condensation bag thingy's" refers to those packets of silica gel which you get with leather goods or electrical items. The problem with using them is that when you remove the bulb there is a cap inside the light unit which normally covers the end of the bulb and this restricts access.

They don't use sealed units because it wouldn't be possible to replace the lamps separately. There is a plastic cover over the back of the unit which should keep out water but I doubt if it is airtight.

If you are worried about using a hairdryer, think how I felt holding a hot water bottle over the light for half an hour!

T. Spark

Ol' Timer said:
I think "Condensation bag thingy's" refers to those packets of silica gel which you get with leather goods or electrical items. The problem with using them is that when you remove the bulb there is a cap inside the light unit which normally covers the end of the bulb and this restricts access.

They don't use sealed units because it wouldn't be possible to replace the lamps separately. There is a plastic cover over the back of the unit which should keep out water but I doubt if it is airtight.

If you are worried about using a hairdryer, think how I felt holding a hot water bottle over the light for half an hour!

Yup thats what I meant :p

As for warrenty you could try taking it to another garage or as u mentioned b4 go above them... just speak to the boss man! Mr Pedro... erm!

Good luck ne way

maddest_cow_eva

Thanks everyone, all the suggestions are much appreciated!

I actually registered my complaint and something seems to be happening! Something to do with fitting a Breather Unit. I'm not getting excited at the moment mainly as there's normally some kind of hitch with me. But I will let you know of the outcome. :-o

LeakyTurnip

Mull Fember
Feb 11, 2005
N.Ireland
The same happened to my Ibiza, I left it in to the dealer one day and they went through some sort of check list on one of the lights.

When I got it back there was fulff on the inside of the light, which leads me to believe you can seperate the glass/plastic from the actual light fitting!

And a few weeks later I had a little spider friend in the same headlight!!

mexicupra

Jul 5, 2005
was Cambridge now Mexico
i have had this problem on my old head lights before i replaced them with xenon ones. i cured it by removing the headlight cleaning it then applying a not too harsh sealant. you have to make them as airtight as possible and then try not going through too many puddles. basically if the unit is airtight or as airtight as possible then condensation will not appear

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
deezal said:
Ive never had any condensation, so mine must be airtight. But theyre not watertight so as the man says avoid driving through water when poss.
Surely if water can get in, then air can? :confused: Or are the molecules in air bigger than the ones for water? :p

maddest_cow_eva

Update

:mobile:

Well the old moby won't stop ringing, I've gone from customer services (which I have to say have been on top form!) back to garage.......... garage now calling customer services as they haven't got a clue what I'd talking about!!

Basically it would seem something called a breather unit has been designed to help with this problem, but no body has yet heard of it! The garage don't seem to want to book my car in which probably means they don't want to pay out the money :cry:

I'm awaiting a call back from the garage now, so fingers crossed everybody!! ;)

MR OBD

Sooty
Apr 22, 2005
Sheffield
i work for a garage and i aint heard of this breather unit!! i want one to stop mine from doin it!! oh n if u complain hard enuff it will get changed in the end!

I have trouble tryin to get a serious engine fault fixed on mine from where i work!! took em 4weeks to change a sensor!! urgh i hate em!! anyways!

hope ya get it sorted!

maddest_cow_eva

The garage hadn't heard of the breather unit either! Think it's a brand new invention thingy. Yeah I've already worked out if you complain enough they start to give, although I hate moaning. Customer services said it would be fitted their now delaying it and making me go through some long winded process. :banghead2

I don't think I'd let myself loose with a drill on my new car! My old style mini maybe.

;)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.