Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest. If you're not subscribing to us on YouTube yet, you're missing out on car news and reviews. Subscribe to our channel to get notified when we post new videos.

condensation on lights?

Discussion in 'Ibiza Mk4 (2002-2008)' started by scorpweb, May 18, 2010.

1. scorpweb

scorpweb Guest

my 1 front head lamp has a little bit of condensation when ever it's wet,

is this an immediate problem? or is it something i can sort out in the future?

i want to get the yellow headlamps but preferably not now due to funds.

2. RUM4MO

RUM4MO Active Member

You should check the sealing/fitting of the access covers on the cluster. I caused this to happen with my wife's Polo 9N - just before an MOT - I had replaced a bulb and had not refitted the access cover squarely and rain water ran down the back of the light and into it. Prior to that, my old Passat failed an MOT for headlight aim - garage broke adjuster, so they fitted a new light but reused all the ancilliaries, unfortunately, with my HID factory fit lights, the access cover for main beam is the ballast unit for dip beam and its rear seal had become hard - so the light misted up for about 6 months then I'd guess the rear seal sort of sealed up again when it "conformed" to its new position. Also check around where the "glass" bonds to the reflector.

3. scorpweb

scorpweb Guest

cheers willl take a look :) fingers crossed

4. rich3001

rich3001 Active Member

i get this too. i just leave the covers off the back and its fine now. you could always take the cover off the back and put you lights on for a bit then refit the covers and see if this clears it if you want the covers on

Edit: some people also drill a few small holes in the rear covers too

5. zach225

Yep I drilled mine, I took them off for a while in the dry and as soon as they went back on they misted straight back up again, drilled a few holes in the covers and it hasn't happened since, it's worth doing just be carefully of where/how and how many holes you do, as you don't want water in them

6. lgsnoddy

lgsnoddy Active Member

i bought my ibiza bart 2 week ago n this was one of first thngs i noticed, i asked round and ive managed to sort it out.

i just simply took the cap off at back, took the bulb out and dried it out with a hairdryer, takes a couple of goes, but ul get rid of it in end, simple fix ;-)

7. RUM4MO

RUM4MO Active Member

Maybe a better plan is to find where its leaking and sort it?

8. lgsnoddy

lgsnoddy Active Member

the last owner said hed left the cap off at back, so i assume water had just gt in there, its stopped anyway

9. CupraTurbo81

CupraTurbo81 Guest

If you have access to compressed air put some inside the back of the light for two minutes and that usually clears them on my car.

10. Chris_a_73

Chris_a_73 1.2L Ibiza Mk4 '07

Check this thread mate.

I simply removed the covers, turned the lights on, and used a hairdrier (on and off to avoid warping the plastic) until completely clear, and finally added Vaseline to the cover seals. Ever since the lights have been bone dry!