Connecting a new radio. How can I swap cables over?

denispearl

Jan 28, 2010
Hey. JUst bouht a radio (sony) all fine but one small problem: radio is off when the key is out of the hole. In other words i cannot listen to the radio when key is not in. It always reseting.
What could I do? Any drawings or pictures please?
Denis

Last edited:

NickyJam

FR - gone, not forgotten
Mar 17, 2008
SW LONDON
search my friend...there's loads of posts on this

basically if the adapter doesn't come prepared with bullets you'll need to splice the wires and put on some bullets to swap the cables

P.S. yellow and red ;)

Ash_238

Aug 25, 2009
Just swap the ignition & the permanent feed (Red wire & yellow wire) around.

The stereo should then store your stations and the clock should be displayed whilst in standby mode.

denispearl

Jan 28, 2010
Just swap the ignition & the permanent feed (Red wire & yellow wire) around.

The stereo should then store your stations and the clock should be displayed whilst in standby mode.

HEy. Ive done it. Its all in the sony manual.
It doesnt work.

NickyJam

FR - gone, not forgotten
Mar 17, 2008
SW LONDON
it won't be the same as the Sony won't have 3 blocks on the rear...this is the stalk connector and you need a seperate adaptor for your remote buttons to work (depends what model ibiza you have)

your radio should have come with a ISO adaptor which literally makes it plug n play...and, having dealt with Sony's in the past, should have bullets on the yellow and red wire ON THE ADAPTOR THAT PLUGS INTO THE HU and not on the loom that plugs into the standard ALANA radio.

denispearl

Jan 28, 2010
honestly. Ive just tried everything possoble. There are 3 options when u connect red + yellow and yellow +red , red and red + yellow and yellow, or yellow and red together in one socket. Wont work neither!!!!

NickyJam

FR - gone, not forgotten
Mar 17, 2008
SW LONDON
then you probably have the wrong adaptor...:confused: this could mean the pins are located in a different place

you didn't happen to buy one from halfords?

Jimski

Back to the fold!
Nov 3, 2007
Staffs
Was there also something about the alarm/central locking playing up when changing head units?

Jimski

denispearl

Jan 28, 2010
now. When im sticking red and yellow together doors alocking.??? Any ideas??? Also when im puting yellow in red socket there is an electrical flash:) does it mean that earth and power has to be swaped?

NickyJam

FR - gone, not forgotten
Mar 17, 2008
SW LONDON
now. When im sticking red and yellow together doors alocking.??? Any ideas??? Also when im puting yellow in red socket there is an electrical flash:) does it mean that earth and power has to be swaped?

to be honest my friend, might be worthwhile posting this in the ICE section...i've never heard anyone having your problem, provided the correct leads are purchased then it should be practically plug n play with the wires to be swapped.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members