considering buying tdi leon

deebow

Oct 2, 2009
hi
im looking at getting a new car and currently deciding between a golf, a3 and a leon. now ive got a couple of questions regarding the leon

1)ive read that the ride is quite hard on the pre facelift models. is this true and if so is it just a matter of replacing the suspension to make it comfortable

2) whats the build quality like compared to golfs and a3

3)are the seats comfortable as the ones in my ibiza are quite crap and end up giving you backache over long distances

EDIT:
Forgot to mention the leons im looking at are the 2005/2006 standard ones with the aim of putting the btcc kit on it as seems id get a cheaper and better condition car for 7ish then buying one with the kit on for 7

Last edited:

mid life fr

Hi
I have the fr tdi and I think it is a great car, yes the suspension is hard but you get used to it.I am sure if the suspension was changed for softer it would not handle as well, with mine I get next to none bodyroll on corners so am happy to put up with the hardness.
Dont know what the build quality is like compared with the golf and the A3 but I do know that they are a lot more money and their build quality is not 3 or 4 grand better
As for the seats they are real nice to sit in no back ache and really hug you round those corners
Go for it you would love it I have had mine for about 3 months now and enjoying being a first time seat owner

cov_lad

Hi mate
1. At first the ride does seem very stiff depending on what you have been driveing before I guess, but after a week or so you won't even notice it.

2. As for buid quality seat is owned buy vw so that speaks for itself, some people say it doesn't seem as as well built as the golf and that the interior is not as good I disagree to both to be honest.

3. Seats are very good, very supportive on the sides very comfy as I found out on a 12 hour
drive.

Hope this helps you make the right choice

Jun 1, 2009
west lothian
Ride is easy sorted with a set of Eibach Pro springs,then a set of 18" wheels,a set of FR bumpers from e-bay and bob's your uncle. 2.0ltr stylance sport would be a good starting point,no DPF to worry about and a stage 1 remap will take you up to around the 185bhp level.

joolsvern

The biggest MEMBER here
Jun 22, 2009
Doncaster
I'd recommend finding a car dealer/supermarket that has a good range of used leon's (FR, 2.0, 1.9) and have a small drive in them all.

I've got a 2.0 stylance and much prefer the ride than the FR (I'm old and my back's seen better days). You can always slowly upgrade it to handle better round the corners (my mates FR was far better than mine when you're giving it some).

I'm too old for this modding crap so won't comment on that :D :D

deebow

Oct 2, 2009
Thanks for all the replies.

Can someone confirm its only the fr diesel models that have the DPF?

Last edited:

willi2i

I've just bought my fab Leon Ref Sport with the FFit BTTC kit.... It is great, Came from a Accord type R so ride is as good (a little hard) but thats how I like it :) I do get a better MPG now as doing lots of motorway miles... Was worried myself about the seats as my recaros I thought could never be replaced....I have to say they aren't as good, but they are comfy, even on long journeys, and I wont be replacing them, as I thought I might be....

As for comparing with Golf and A3, Personally I think it has a better shape for the age....

deebow

Oct 2, 2009
reading around there seems to be a problem with some of the 2.0 tdi engines being prone to crack heads,

now on the audi forums they had a guide explaing what engines were more prone to it and how to identify it. has anyone done one for the seat leons and if so can someone link me to it as searched but cant seem to find one with alot of information

thanks

Sep 29, 2009
norwich
been of work now for over a year with back problem, and the most releaf i get is going out for a drive in my fr love it (started back to work this week) best car i have ever had

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise