Coolant g13 or alternative?

Som

Oct 1, 2018
Hey all

I've got a 2015 Ibiza fr black edition and need to top up on coolant as it's just dropped to the minimum line.

I placed an order for some g13 coolant but it's gonna be next week by the time it arrives. Is there any alternatives you can suggest in the mean time as a one off to top it up now or am I better waiting on the proper g13 arriving?

In Edinburgh if any local recommendations on stuff I could pick up tomorrow.

everson38

May 15, 2017
walsall
I
Hey all

I've got a 2015 Ibiza fr black edition and need to top up on coolant as it's just dropped to the minimum line.

I placed an order for some g13 coolant but it's gonna be next week by the time it arrives. Is there any alternatives you can suggest in the mean time as a one off to top it up now or am I better waiting on the proper g13 arriving?

In Edinburgh if any local recommendations on stuff I could pick up tomorrow.
Hey son

I would probably just top it up with distilled water and then when u r g13 arrive, drain out from the reservoir the amount of water you put in and then put in your g13 the same amount but concentrated and that way you will have just genuine in. Where as if u use something else it will have mixed and u will won't be able to suck that out if you understand me. In all fairness the minimum amount u have lost won't really do any harm if u find something compatible but my way ur making sure u no nothing but g13 has been in

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
I grabbed some comma g40 from halfords. Its what I always use.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Just run it at the minimum line until you get the coolant. That is assuming you don't have a leak? Which might be a dangerous assumption if you are at the minimum line...

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
As above, don't panic but keep an eye on it as it should not be losing coolant, though quite a few equivalent Skoda Fabias seem to have been shipped from the factory with low coolant levels - which is weird as my wife's 2015 Polo 1.2TSI 110PS was supplied new just above the MAX line and has stayed there all its life so far.

Too late for this advice, but if I were you, I'd just have nipped along to my local SEAT, VW, Skoda, Audi or VW Commercial dealership, and there one of each in Edinburgh, even 2 branches of VW, and bought a bottle of G13. So that means, Newbridge and Fort Kinnaird for VW, Bilston Glen Business Park for VW Van Centre, Sighthill for Audi and Skoda and Seafield for SEAT - easy!

Edit:- and just top it up with neat G13 coolant concentrate out of the bottle - is it G13 concentrate that you have bought or G13 premixed at 50%?

Another Edit:- it does not matter where or which VW Group dealership you buy this from, they should all be charging the same for that standard VW Group part number - unless one of them is being generous!

Last edited:

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Too late for this advice, but if I were you, I'd just have nipped along to my local SEAT, VW, Skoda, Audi or VW Commercial dealership, and there one of each in Edinburgh, even 2 branches of VW, and bought a bottle of G13.

Now why did none of us suggest that?? ;0)

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Now why did none of us suggest that?? ;0)

The trick I also consider is, with some components and fluid is to consider buying them from your local VW Group dealership and for me that includes the engine coolant concentrate as using any almost good enough stuff in there would cost you quite a lot of inconvenience and money in the long term, so I always cut to the chase and buy that locally from any VW Group dealership.

Some people could say that I'm being a bit "precious" about some of these things, but there are still many other areas of your car where you can save money by buying products that come from a VW Group supplier for that item to your car in normal packaging and not marked in price as when provided with VW Group packaging, for instance MANN oil filters and NGK spark plugs - and probably many more.

Glove

Aug 30, 2018
I would only use G13. You should be able to pop into any VW/Skoda/Seat/Audi dealer and buy it there an then. They all stock it and its all the same stuff.

Deano j1971

Jan 5, 2018
Hey @Som...Triple QX purple g13 coolant is available at euro car parts in Edinburgh for £4.86 1ltr you could pick it up tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Som

Oct 1, 2018
Thanks for the help guys. In the end a mate dropped by and by chance had some in his boot so managed to get it topped up.

Also, my g13 arrived this morning so all good for future if it needs a few drops.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.