Coolant level drop cupra 280

arronleeds

Jul 27, 2017
I’ve had the car around 3 months it’s just passed the 31k mark, when I picked the car up the coolant level was probably just after the min line and now it’s sat just below it, it had 26k on when I picked it up so I’ve done 5-6k, can’t see any leaks etc, what could be the cause, thanks.

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
The coolant level changes slightly on mine for no good reason, I've given up worrying about it. Top it up when cold, and just check it from time to time.

DougCupra280

Feb 17, 2019
Don't forget these are pressurised systems. Often the coolant level will be lower when warm. When the engine has cooled after are run. If you were to carefully remove the cap the pressure would drop allowing pipes to contract and the level in the tank would rise again.

Suggest, topping up when cold. Run it for a few days. Mark level when car is cold in the morning. A few hundred miles later, park in exactly the same spot and check the level in the morning.

If it actually is lower, assuming your coolant and oil look good. check your water pump and thermostat for leaks. Both have been know to leak on these engines.

bgb

Jan 22, 2019
My Golf GTD had this issue before I sold it, some times emptying the whole tank!

worst case - Blocked heater matrix..
best case - pressure issue that will clear itself, or you could 'burp' it. Leave cap off, start engine, get to 90degC and turn on heater full into cabin, you may even see a burp bubble!

If brought from main dealer, surely you would have at least 6 months of 'warranty'? Make an appointment and a case so if it does go wrong, you can claim the issue was there :)

arronleeds

Jul 27, 2017
There is some yellow staining on one of the hoses but looks dry as hell, is that not an indicator of an coolant leak

bgb

Jan 22, 2019
There is some yellow staining on one of the hoses but looks dry as hell, is that not an indicator of an coolant leak

I would expect it to be white, not yellow?.. someone may correct me!

If you remove the cap now, does it hiss/pop and return to normal?

DougCupra280

Feb 17, 2019
Could be coolant. I would test as above first. the levels do move up and down quite a bit. If you find it has dropped past your level mark. Take it to any garage where they will do a pressure test.This will show any leaks...

arronleeds

Jul 27, 2017
Gonna top it up today and see what it’s like Friday, I managed to get under the car but could find no sign of coolant, there was however a brown coloured substance, it was either oil/road muck or water/muck, it didn’t feel slippery and when I wiped my hand it came off easy enough, my cars in a garage Friday to get front diff oil done so il have it looked at, cheers guys.

arronleeds

Jul 27, 2017
Some findings after taking tray off, coolant leak? It didn’t feel wet

Attachments

• 5A189247-B635-4489-970D-8D8B0B8A17F6.jpeg
    5A189247-B635-4489-970D-8D8B0B8A17F6.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 272
  • 399B7A5B-E7F0-4334-BC35-DE0683B7213F.jpeg
    399B7A5B-E7F0-4334-BC35-DE0683B7213F.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 201
  • 21B69658-63C8-4B00-A1E8-B9345CACB5BC.jpeg
    21B69658-63C8-4B00-A1E8-B9345CACB5BC.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 186

arronleeds

Jul 27, 2017
looks like it. Better a leak than something internal. Is it coming from the water pump?

Been told it’s coming from the water pump seal by people who have seen the pics, where the bolts are on the end of the pump the coolant was dripping off that, taking it into seat when I can, I have 1 year approved warranty but have exhaust mods, shouldn’t affect my warranty I’ve been told.

Reactions: LouG

DougCupra280

Feb 17, 2019
Usually higher. Water and air expand when hot. But my system barely changes between extremes.
Yep, when the system is pressurized due to the expansion, the pipes swell and the level in the tank sometimes seems to drop. If you were to release the cap an hour or so after a drive you will see the level rise as the pipes contract again. Some seem to do this more than others.

arronleeds

Jul 27, 2017
Opened my engine bay this morning after driving to work and steam was coming out, will this be the coolant because of it being red hot?

DougCupra280

Feb 17, 2019
Were you watching the engine temp? I would suggest you don't do any more driving until you get the water pump leak sorted...

boggle

Dec 28, 2012
KENT
it's the waterpump / waterpump housing that's leaking. it's a common problem with this engine, the good news is you have warranty. the same problem cost me £300 to replace the housing on my 15 reg cupra 280. car is fine to drive, just top the coolant up when the warning shows

arronleeds

Jul 27, 2017
it's the waterpump / waterpump housing that's leaking. it's a common problem with this engine, the good news is you have warranty. the same problem cost me £300 to replace the housing on my 15 reg cupra 280. car is fine to drive, just top the coolant up when the warning shows

£300 what a joke, it’s a common issue so why should anyone pay mate not fair is it

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
Yep, when the system is pressurized due to the expansion, the pipes swell and the level in the tank sometimes seems to drop. If you were to release the cap an hour or so after a drive you will see the level rise as the pipes contract again. Some seem to do this more than others.
I have never seen this in 40+ years in the trade and fiddling with all sorts of cars. It could only possibly happen with unreinforced hoses which are never used in pressurised systems.
How about some photos?