Coolant light keeps coming on periodically!

revere

Nov 10, 2009
Glasgow
I think I might have a sensor fault !

The light for the G12 coolant keeps comin on and flashing, this happens predominately when the weather has been pretty cold but on the odd occasion has come on when my temp gauge says it's around 0 degrees. It's always usually when I start the car in the morning. If I run the car for a bit then turn the engine off and back on the light goes off. The car manual says I should see a seat garage. Is this something I should be worrying about or is it just because it's been so cold lately that my engine coolant is getting frozen !

I drive a Seat Leon Cupra R 225 !

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
One of the most common complaints on here and a search would reveal you more than likely need a new header tank, Good news is they are around a tenner.

andycupra

status subject to change
Ok, the sensor flashing and bleeping on start up when cold is very likely to be the sensor thinking the coolant level is too low.
A common sensor ault and unlikely to be anything serious, - if it goes off after a while or if you restart im 99% certain coolant is ok.
But, for piece of mind, do check the coolant level is ok to elimate the possiblility of low coolant. I expect you will find its towars the bottom end of the range when cold, but this is no serious issue.

As above dealer fix would be to fit a new expansion bottle as the sensor is built in, this will solve it, but then when this work is done the coolant level is usually topped up..

so before going to the trouble of replacing the header id try:

check coolant level when cold. is it low or within the correct range but towards bottom end?
if so top it up a bit so its towards the top of the range indicated on the expansion bottle.
This more often than not solves it.

Other things you can do is remove expansion bottle top, look inside and see two metal prongs coming from the electrical connection into the coolant.
(this is how the car checks that the coolant is at a sufficient level) Presumably the coolant allows connecting between prongs.
Over time the metal prongs may get a build up on the surfaces reducing the sensors efficiency.
So you could try giving these a gentle wiggle and scrape with a flat screw driver.
Many people say this helps.

wont do any harm to remove electrical connection on outside of bottle, make sure contacts are clean and replace.

(cold weather exagerates issue as the coolant level will drop as ambient temperatures drop)

I have had two leons, both had this fault and both wer fault free for years after i topped up the coolant a little.

Last edited:

nennokair

had the same problem and again was only low coolant. not happened in 2 years after topping up.

revere

Nov 10, 2009
Glasgow
cheers mate.

I have looked at the coolant level and it looks fine to me but i'll chk it again. If I need to buy G12 coolant do I need to go to a Seat dealer to get it?

Jun 26, 2008
Just round the corner.
Mine's done it 3-4 times when it was really cold. just have to let her warm up (light will stay on)
then after a couple of minutes turn off and on again and she's fine.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise