Coolant smell through vents... 1.2 TSI

raveydave76

Nov 4, 2018
Hi folks,

2014 Seat Ibiza 1.2 TSI FR ST (50k miles)

Looking for a bit of advice. About a week ago I began to smell what I'm fairly sure is coolant coming through the air vents. It's pretty distinctive and occurs after the car has warmed to temperature and is stopped (e.g. in traffic).

Some weeks prior to smelling this for the first time I had to top-up the coolant from minimum to maximum and since then the level has dropped slightly so it would appear that she is losing coolant somewhere in the system. There is no sign of any leak beneath the engine.

I took her into the garage this week and they identified and replaced a failing water pump. However there has been no change in the symptoms as in the way into work this morning exactly the same thing happened.

Has anyone else with this engine experienced this? Could this be a failing heater core? If so is this a big effort on the Ibiza (as with some other cars).

Any pointers gratefully received.

Reactions: ITzadamZz

ITzadamZz

Aug 29, 2019
I have a 2016 Seat Ibiza FR with 50,000K Miles.

The Air Conditioning problem I HAVE is that smelling burning while driving with the Heating on maxium Heat. This smell does not occur while AirConditioning is on cold.

Inital thought, I put this fault down to installing an Performance intercooler, which is dragging warm air in from the engine bay, that is hot and then is getting re-heated by the radiator. And this was down to the burning smell.

However, I think this is down to needing an AirConditioning 'recharge'. I am going to take down to the local QickFit as i drive past every morning and inform them of my issue as they advertise 'Full Airconditioning recharge service'.

But Any Ideas?
(Intresting we both have the same millage.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I have a 2016 Seat Ibiza FR with 50,000K Miles.

The Air Conditioning problem I HAVE is that smelling burning while driving with the Heating on maxium Heat. This smell does not occur while AirConditioning is on cold.

Inital thought, I put this fault down to installing an Performance intercooler, which is dragging warm air in from the engine bay, that is hot and then is getting re-heated by the radiator. And this was down to the burning smell.

However, I think this is down to needing an AirConditioning 'recharge'. I am going to take down to the local QickFit as i drive past every morning and inform them of my issue as they advertise 'Full Airconditioning recharge service'.

But Any Ideas?
(Intresting we both have the same millage.

I'd start with using an AC "bomb" to kill any bugs in the air box-evaporator area as sometimes these smells come from that, plus you are normally advised to sanitise that area every year or so to avoid the growth of bugs in there.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Hi folks,

2014 Seat Ibiza 1.2 TSI FR ST (50k miles)

Looking for a bit of advice. About a week ago I began to smell what I'm fairly sure is coolant coming through the air vents. It's pretty distinctive and occurs after the car has warmed to temperature and is stopped (e.g. in traffic).

Some weeks prior to smelling this for the first time I had to top-up the coolant from minimum to maximum and since then the level has dropped slightly so it would appear that she is losing coolant somewhere in the system. There is no sign of any leak beneath the engine.

I took her into the garage this week and they identified and replaced a failing water pump. However there has been no change in the symptoms as in the way into work this morning exactly the same thing happened.

Has anyone else with this engine experienced this? Could this be a failing heater core? If so is this a big effort on the Ibiza (as with some other cars).

Any pointers gratefully received.

If you are lucky, it might just be some coolant that has been spilt in the engine compartment which should eventually go away, or the smell will.- if not you probably know what else it could end up being!
Again, after checking for any spilt coolant from before or at the repair time I'd use an AC "bomb" to try to kill that smell, they don't cost much from ECP and if the smell comes back then you know that you have another nastier problem.

raveydave76

Nov 4, 2018
If you are lucky, it might just be some coolant that has been spilt in the engine compartment which should eventually go away, or the smell will.- if not you probably know what else it could end up being!
Again, after checking for any spilt coolant from before or at the repair time I'd use an AC "bomb" to try to kill that smell, they don't cost much from ECP and if the smell comes back then you know that you have another nastier problem.

Hi there - just back to this after a while and symptoms are exactly the same. I don't suppose it is possible to diagnose a bust heater matrix...?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I'd expect that you would have to open up the plenum airbox thing that the heater matrix is located within before coming to any conclusions, though if you have carefully examined all the rest of the cooling system for signs of leakage, then the matrix being hidden, is the most likely source of this problem. Getting the system pressure tested by a garage might help a bit, though it does sound like it is a minor but annoying leak.

Edit:- also, it is quite a time consuming job to replace a heater matrix in these cars I think - no experience of doing that, just worked that out from looking at these heater assemblies.

Oct 28, 2023
are you loosing coolant?
It's weird, engine cold coolant filled to max and left for two days and remains on max.

Engine idle and coolant eventually builds pressure forcing coolant out of the expansion overflow.

Happens quicker underload and once enough has been ejected I'll get a coolant low.

If I fill to max warm the engine and turn off before the overflow happens pressure still builds and the coolant is sucked into a void as the engine cools leaving the coolant below the minimum mark. Open the tank and the coolant come flooding back to max.

Rad pipes are different temps sometimes similar and then other times tops hot to touch and bottoms cold.

I've ordered a matrix and thermostat really hoping it's that rather than the head but not worked on seats so trying to cover all bases.

Any common leak areas to check insuppose it might not be letting liquid out but might let air in?

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
the 1.4 16v leaks on the back of the engine, idk much about the 1.2 tsi unfortunatly

do you smell the coolant in the engine compartment or just inside the car?

does your floor get wet?

could be the heater core, thats the wrost case scenario because it is hard to replace, needs to remove the whole dashboard

Oct 28, 2023
the 1.4 16v leaks on the back of the engine, idk much about the 1.2 tsi unfortunatly

do you smell the coolant in the engine compartment or just inside the car?

does your floor get wet?

could be the heater core, thats the wrost case scenario because it is hard to replace, needs to remove the whole dashboard
Smell just inside the cabin

Not noticed any coolant running in either footwell.

Does the whole dash need to come out on the 1.2tsi? Or can it be removed from under glovebox area?

Cheers for the reply 👍

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
Smell just inside the cabin

Not noticed any coolant running in either footwell.

Does the whole dash need to come out on the 1.2tsi? Or can it be removed from under glovebox area?

Cheers for the reply 👍
the dash doesnt change with engine, I have not seen how its done but I suspect the whole dash needs to come out

Oct 28, 2023
Thanks @dm222 Ill let you know how I get on tomorrow now the matrix has arrived I plan to tackle it.

As a side question I've installed new waterpump,thermostat and radiator fan switch but the fans aren't operating.....

Obd is telling me correct coolant temperatures but radiator fan outlet says it's -47c is this designed like this for the switch purpose? Or again a faulty new sensor?

I've bridged the 3 pin connector pins and high and low speed are working.

Radiator seems warm but not as hot at the top rad pipe? I've also noticed the small coolant return coming off the top rad going to the expansion tank is getting the same temperature as the top rad hose?

Would this surgest a partially blocked radiator?

Cheers for the help so far is helping me progress slowly 👍

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise