Cordy 1.6 1F engine misfire PLEASE HELP!

Flys1nce86

Feb 11, 2014
Hi people I have an odd misfire with my Cordy that is driving me a little insane, when it is warm it misfires on idle but when the rpm is up it is fine and drives perfect, I will now list all I have done on the car.
I have replaced: Coil, leads, plugs, rotar arm, cap, temp sensor, lambda, cat (replaced because it was buggered), second hand single point injection unit and the compression is perfect.

If anyone has experienced this or has any ideas please let me know because I'm about ready to hang myself over it

Many thanks

Flys1nce86

Feb 11, 2014
Hi guys, I bought inline spark testers and that was all fine, I've done the head gasket and while the head was off I pulled the valves out and the inlets were badly coated in carbon and obviously not shutting properly because you could see where it was blowing past the valve seat (at this point I thought to myself "this has to be it") I lapped the valves in, had the head skimmed and put it back together. Would you believe it, it's still the sodding same .
The only thing that has not been done is replacing the dizzy or having the ecu tested but I'm not forking out the expense.
Is anyone breaking a 1F engine that I could borrow any bits off that would be most appreciated (I will pay postage) and then if it fixes the problem I will obviously pay for the part.
Cheers guys

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
I thought you said in one of your earlier posts that the compression was alright. But I spose that's good you caught it on anyway. My loom to ecu connection point was corroded up initially when I first got her which caused limp mode. You could try cleaning that and see if it helps. There's a capacitor on the side of the coil that can cause bother but if you've done the spark test then I doubt that'll be an issue. If you've done the head then timing won't be an issue assuming you've set it correctly. Have you tried reading for stored fault codes before you fork out any more doagh?

Flys1nce86

Feb 11, 2014
I did say that the compression was fine but my car is a pain in the arse so it was obviously lying to me. I have checked the ecu plug and all the pins look ok on the ecu and plug. The coil has been replaced two times due to failures (as they do). Every time I check it with vag com there is no faults but because its quite an old car in terms of diagnostics it doesn't always pick up faults. and yes the timing is spot on.

cheers for your input.

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
Are the cam lobes possibly worn? Are you able to look at the measuring blocks in vagcom or vcds-lite? It might help you check engine oil temp, maf meter etc. It could be over heating. Check the coolant pump is operational or coolant temp can be checked with vagcom. I'm not sure about oil pressure with vagcom. It may have to be physically checked with a gauge at the side of the cylinderhead. 60 or 70 psi when cold and 5-10 psi when warm according to tim mechanical oil pressure gauges. That's all I can think of at the minute.

Flys1nce86

Feb 11, 2014
The cam lobes are fine, checked all of that while I had the head off, I've checked the coolant temp on the measuring blocks on vagcom and both coolant temp sensors were reading the same temperature so I assume they were ok (especially as I've replaced both), my car doesn't actually have a maf so it's not going to be that. I haven't replaced the coolant pump as they are usually spot on with the type of pump I have but it also would've overheated by now if it was a problem.

Cheers for your input though, it's nice to have a fresh mind on it once in a while.
Much appreciated.

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
No problemo. The reason I suggested over heating was my mum had a 1.6 sierra sapphire which I raked the bag out of on the snow one night so low speed and low air flow over the rad with lots of revs and she started puffing and pinking and stuttering and getting on. Hope you get her sorted.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members