Cordy cutting out

andyj

There's no F in Quality..
Grr..... thought it was behaving itself over the last few days....

Driving home from work last night, coming along the dual carriageway approaching the slip road, back off the accelerator to slow down, and it just died....... Argh!

Managed to coast down the slip road and restart it half way down, so I had brakes when I got to the roundabout at the bottom!!

As soon as I got home I fitted the new coil the Pete sent me.... took it out for a quick spin, all seems ok.

Then, driving to work this morning, sat in traffic, went to accelerate..... nothing :( Argh !!!!

Anyone got any ideas what to try next ?!? Pete's on holiday for another week, but when he gets back, I'm going to nab the 'crank position sensor' off him, and try that.

Russ is coming up in a couple of weeks, so I'm going to get him to bring his laptop and VAG-com, and see if that shows any probs.......

Andy

andyj

Had a look at the throttle body last night, and it 'looks' fairly ok. But saying that, the breather pipe and in inlet pipe attached to it were both fairly oily.

I reckon it could be the idle valve attached to the throttle body to.

Going to strip it down at the weekend, and clean it all up.

Andy

andyj

Stripped the throttle body down when I got home, and gave it a good clean with degreaser.

From what I could work out, the idle control valve works by opening the butterfly valve slightly, via a motor & cogs.

Other than it being a bit grubby, it seemed ok.

Will report back if I've cured the problem!!!

Andy

cordysx

it sounds like the throttle body gunked up mate but after you cleaned it you may have disturbed the butterfly angle. You might have to put it on the vag diagnostic to have basic settings caried out which will reset it to the correct position.

andyj

Gutted.. driving home tonight and it cut out again.... on a roundabout again! Oulling away from the lights, changed into 2nd and nothing.....

Had to use the key to restart it whilst rolling!

Argh !!!!!!

Going to have to put up with it til I can get it on VAG-com on the 1st April.

andyj

UPDATE:

It won't start now!!

it's 5.45pm and the RAC have said they'll be anything upto 75mins !!! WTF !!!

Anyway, looks like there's no fuel getting through to the engine. There's a spark, and it turns over once, then dies.......

Anyone got any emergency ideas ?!? ;)

Andy

andyj

well.... he arrived at 6.30pm and had the car running by 6.40pm :D

First thing he checked was that you coud hear the fuel pump priming when you turned on the ignition, so that was ok.

Next thing he did was to release the pressure in the fuel system by disconnecting the fuel line from the fuel rail, just enough to release the pressure. Smelt the fuel to check it was Petrol and not Diesel...... initially thought it was diesel, but it was just the smell of WD40 masking the smell of Petrol! (had to double check the receipt in my wallet that I had filled up with Petrol last night !!! ;) )

After he'd released the pressure, he said to try starting it up..... started first time !!!

We came to the conclusion that there must be some dirty etc in the fuel line that is acting like a butterfly valve and stopping the fuel from flowing. This would also explain why the car randomly cuts out.

Going to try and get the car into a local garage and get the fuel pipes blown through with compressed air to clear them out.

The quest continues !!! :D

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
hmm if its muck in the fuel lines you dont really want to stuff injector cleaner down them and send it through the engine, getting the lines blown through sounds like the best option.

andyj

Thinking back on it, the reason I changed the filter was that the car was cutting out anyway..... so it's something other than that...

Going to try Pete's throttle body next weekend, incase it's that that's sticking closed etc.

Clutching at loose straws now !!!

I think it's time to return to 2.0 16v ownership !!! :D :D

andyj

Update:

Was browsing the CGti forum this morning looking for other possible solutions to the cutting out problem, and found this thread:

http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87965

Apparently it's a common fault on the Mk3 Golfs, which gives the same symptoms as what I've been seeing.

Anyway, the cause..... a faulty ECU Control Relay (165 906 381) a grand total of £10.80 from your local VW/SEAT dealer ;)

Tried both my local SEAT dealers but the parts depts both shut at 12pm on a Saturday, so a quick trip to the local VW dealer and their parts dept which is open til 5pm on a Saturday! :)

Have fitted the relay, and it seems to have made the idle alot smoother. Only time will tell if it's solved the cutting out problem !!! :D

Fingers crossed anyway !!! ;)

Andy

andyj

Well, so far it seems to have sorted the problem out :D

The only problem now is that when I'm cruising along on the dual-carriageway at about 70-80 and I take my foot off the acelerator, there's a 'jolt' as the throttle body closes..... this happens whenever I take my foot off the acelerator at any speed, but only when it's in gear etc.

If I dip the clutch it doesn't happen.....

Strange.

Might check I've got the throttle-body set-up right after a tried a replacement one last weekend....

Andy

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.