cordy estate 2000 battery issues

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
Right, I'm back on track now, crossed wires :D. I was thinking that the wiring going to the fuel pump sent a pulse to the ecu to tell it if everything is as it should be. But my engine definitely would not start until I reconnected the harness. I'll look up the wiring diagrams and see what it says.

The exhaust manifold has more of an arc to it were the tube connects from cylinder 1 to cylinder 4, if that makes sense. One from an AFN engine in an Ibiza or mk3 golf is more straight like my AHU.

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
Yeh it needs the wiring connected otherwise there's no power to the pump for the shut off or iq adjustment

Need to see pics of the mani's

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
I see what you mean, sticks out further from the engine, I wonder if the AGR exhaust mani would be any good, it's a bolt on turbo too.

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
The Haynes manual says that a faulty stop solenoid or air trapped in the fuel system will cause starting issues. So the way I had taken the wiring from the stop solenoid made the car not start as it must energise it to start and remove the voltage to stop the engine.

mike_f

Hey guys, the cordy will still not start at all. I tried loosening the four injector nuts a bit and crank the car, but there was hardly any fuel coming out of them. I also tried loosoning the white plastic thing underneath the filter and crank, but still hardly anything came out.

I really dont know where to go from here, any suggestions??

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
Is it turning over quickly enough? The Haynes manual suggests either faulty stop solenoid or air in the fuel system. Other places to look are the 109 relay like seatmann said. Check the ecu connection between the ecu and loom. Mine was corroded which caused running problems but not starting issues. Take the top timing cover and check the timing is set correctly. You need to take the rocker cover off to put a locking bar in the end of the cam. An easier way would be to put it on the rosstech vcds-lite to check the timing is set properly. Check the wiring to the pump and the stop solenoid. If it's ok then lift pump in the tank. The fuel pump is lubricated by the fuel and not the engine oil so the oil starvation would not have destroyed it but the fuel starvation may have damaged it but I couldn't see it. Most likely is blocked filter or degraded fuel lines.

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
You've ran to dry, I think when you popped out it just used what was left in the filter but maybe wasn't enough to get the fuel system full. You'll need to fill the filter and maybe take the car for a tow to get it going again unless you've got some sort of vac pump to pull the fuel through the pump.

mike_f

Seatmann, That was my first thought...But it wudnt start just after i put sum more diesel in it. Also what u say makes sense because the fuel filter did seem empty. and there was hardly any fuel coming out of the injectors when i cranked and they were loose...
And yea its turning over real fast just wont catch if u know what i mean, so it all points to fuel or fuel lines. Im gunna try get to the car tommorow, hopefully with a pump. And i just fill the filter up with fuel yea??
Thank you guys

mike_f

I think also that when the guys flushed the petrol out of the system, before i got the car...have left something loose or something, because she never had 1 problem with it before they ****ed about with it.
ive got the haynes manuel for the cordoba but it hasnt got my engine code in it. Is the agr similar to any of the engine codes it does list? i can write them all down if need be?
I was hoping u guys were gunna be online tonight lol

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
Same as the ALH engine, only difference is the turbo.

But yeh, you're gonna need to get the fuel up somehow, filling the filter should help and once the pump gets going it should start sucking and purge the air out. Did they replace the fuel filter?

mike_f

Damn it thats not in the haynes either, waste of £15 that was lol
I dont think they did man. i can find out for sure if i need to?
..I can fill the filter from the top of it with the T clip out yea?

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
Yeh but I'd get a new one, something like mann that comes with new seal for the t piece.

No haynes manual but shed loads of info online

mike_f

Ye i was surprised how much ive learnt just readin through the forums...I will buy a new filter for sure, i need to get it in for a major service in the new year.
Hopfully i can just get it going for now :)

mike_f

Lol i did get her for nothing, she was getting ready to scrap it, and i couldnt let her do it. Its a good car still a lot of life left in her you know. Just a few annoying issues...

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
I've read back over the thread but Can't see it. I could have been sure that you posted that you had water ingress in the front foot wells.

As for cheap mods they're not really cheap. Bigger injectors and a remap is about it but with that turbo I think 135 bhp is about max. Injectors can be found at darkside developments and I'm not to sure who wound do a remap for you in England. Price is min £340 if you fit the nozzles yourself and more if you have to get them fitted.

I like the sound of seatmann's tuner that is listed in his signature. Try him.

mike_f

Ye thats all for the future as for now, the fuel filter is full and the car is even slower turnin over when cranking. I think im gunna have to take it to a garage now, cuz i aint got a clue where to go from here :(

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
Have you been cranking it much? The battery could be low from cranking. The starter may be suffering from all the cranking. But you will feel a different sensation through the car body once it starts to catch and burn fuel in the cylinders. It could only be the sop solenoid, air lock in the lines, defective injectors or damaged wiring to the needle lift sensor. Try and get someone in your area to put it on diagnostics like rosstech vcds-lite to see if any errors show up or the timing or injection parameters are off. Check the injectors are tight in the head. A compression test for diesels are not common, where I live anway, so might be expensive but lack of compression would make it not start.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members