Cornering lights for parking.

Fred99

Sep 21, 2013
Granada, Southern Spain
My cornering lights work fine and they are very useful as I live up a narrow mountain road with hairpin bends!

However the manual says that they should both come on when in reverse to help illuminate the parking area but they don't.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Incidentally does anyone know why you can't have cornering lights if you have the LEDs?

rcopus

Jun 6, 2012
Midlands
My cornering lights work fine and they are very useful as I live up a narrow mountain road with hairpin bends!

However the manual says that they should both come on when in reverse to help illuminate the parking area but they don't.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Incidentally does anyone know why you can't have cornering lights if you have the LEDs?

Thought we already discussed the LED vs. cornering fogs in the other thread :p

They used to light up in reverse on my Ibiza, on my Leon where I've activated them with VCDS they only work when turning.

I was wondering whether theres an option in VCDS for switching them on for reverse too, but perhaps not if your factory set-up Leon doesn't do it either. :(

Fred99

Sep 21, 2013
Granada, Southern Spain
I must admit I think the same as you on this. If I am parking I am looking at the Park Assist display.

I can see some point in that when you are parallel parking you do need to watch the front as you reverse in otherwise you could clip the front wing, however I think the headlights would be adequate for this.

Maybe it's yet another "deleted without bothering to update the manual or advise the customer" situations.

It would be nice if you actually got what you had paid for!

Ckpearce91

Feb 20, 2013
Milton Keynes
The other night I was driving down a lot of country lanes and didn't have a clue as to where I was. I could of really used the cornering function when turning onto lanes and not being able to see the bottom corner. I read somewhere that the new ecomotive has led lights with cornering fogs? Any truth in this?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
The other night I was driving down a lot of country lanes and didn't have a clue as to where I was. I could of really used the cornering function when turning onto lanes and not being able to see the bottom corner. I read somewhere that the new ecomotive has led lights with cornering fogs? Any truth in this?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't know if the ecomotive has them, but you can have them activated on any mk3 using vcds

Fred99

Sep 21, 2013
Granada, Southern Spain
Having spent some time looking very carefully at these so called "cornering" lights I am now pretty certain that they are no such thing.

What they are, are just the normal fog lights programmed to come on on one side only depending on speed and steering input and they also come on with the relevant indicator.

I cannot see any evidence of a separate bulb for the "cornering" light compared to the fog light. The fog lights have a very wide spread of light and when one is on it does give the impression of lighting the corner, which of course it does, and very well. If fact the manual only seems to mention one bulb.

So, if you are driving down country lanes, then just turning the fog lights on will light the corners, but I understand that is against the law in the UK. Similarly for parking, just turning them on will serve the same purpose of illuminating the front parking area.

However, that doesn't explain why the cornering light option is not available with LED headlights.

Another triumph of electronic control over substance! :(:(

keithjeb

Nov 1, 2013
Having spent some time looking very carefully at these so called "cornering" lights I am now pretty certain that they are no such thing.

What they are, are just the normal fog lights programmed to come on on one side only depending on speed and steering input and they also come on with the relevant indicator.

I cannot see any evidence of a separate bulb for the "cornering" light compared to the fog light. The fog lights have a very wide spread of light and when one is on it does give the impression of lighting the corner, which of course it does, and very well. If fact the manual only seems to mention one bulb.

So, if you are driving down country lanes, then just turning the fog lights on will light the corners, but I understand that is against the law in the UK. Similarly for parking, just turning them on will serve the same purpose of illuminating the front parking area.

However, that doesn't explain why the cornering light option is not available with LED headlights.

Probably because they look godawful if you don't change the bulbs as well.

dw911

Mar 30, 2013

Your quite correct, they don't turn and they use the fog light bulb not a separate one

My guess as to why it is not available with led headlights is either they considered the led headlights to give more light than the halogen headlights so the additional light from the front fog light is not needed
Or that the light from the fog light is so yellow compared to the leds it looks strange when you mix the two together

sixysix

Jan 27, 2014
London
I think that it's pretty pointless to have them come on for parking IMO as the headlights do the job just fine :)
I would rather have another reversing light on the rear of the car :)

rcopus

Jun 6, 2012
Midlands
Won't help ya, but some VAG cars (Skoda) do have two bulbs in the fog lights believe it or not.
They have two bulbs for each lamp/unit, one specifically for cornering, and only comes on when cornering too.

alkan-i

Hello Fred,

fog lights (cornering light) with reverse gear is not a problem. You must have VCDS 12.12.0 and appropriate cable. If you want I send how-to.

Rob

Hi, if it's not a secret, can you pls share the codes for fog lights with reverse gear via VCDS?

kopnyr

Nov 8, 2013
Nitra, Slovakia
Hello,

fog/cornering lights with reverse gear:

1. stg9 - central electronics
2. security access - function 16
3. code 31347
4. adaptation - function 10
5. select channel (8) Light12NL LB45 light function C12
6. adjust value on reverse (rueckfahrt in german)
7. Select channel (10) Light12NL LB45 dimmwert CD12
8. adjust value to 100
9. select channel (8) Light13NL RB5 light function C13
10. adjust value on reverse (rueckfahrt in german)
11. select channel (10) Light13NL RB5 dimmwert CD13
12. adjust value to 100

That's it !

Rob

metomurti

Apr 26, 2013
Hello,

fog/cornering lights with reverse gear:

1. stg9 - central electronics
2. security access - function 16
3. code 31347
4. adaptation - function 10
5. select channel (8) Light12NL LB45 light function C12
6. adjust value on reverse (rueckfahrt in german)
7. Select channel (10) Light12NL LB45 dimmwert CD12
8. adjust value to 100
9. select channel (8) Light13NL RB5 light function C13
10. adjust value on reverse (rueckfahrt in german)
11. select channel (10) Light13NL RB5 dimmwert CD13
12. adjust value to 100

That's it !

Rob

Thanks for this useful information. Is it for front or rear fog lights?

Andy

Nov 12, 2013
Ayrshire, Scotland
Just noticed the other night I never had cornering lights, thought I had, need to revisit the spec sheet.

I've got to disagree on cornering fogs being pointless, each to their own I know but having came from one with to one without I can see the benefit of that extra edge they give you. Turning into the gate entry at the back garden for example, tight squeeze and that all important area which was once illuminated is now dark.

Tbh I found this thread a bit confusing with cornering fogs and reverse in the same sentence, what's the point of front cornering fogs illuminating when your in reverse and your focus is backwards, I'm missing something here ..disclaimer, its early :D

It would be nice if you could tweak VCDS to make the rear fog come on in tandem with the reverse light when selecting reverse gear, the fog, for me anyway, will rarely be used and twin reverse lights would be of much more benefit. Noticed when I changed the reverse light bulb to LED, as bright as it was the light flood was still to the one side. There's a helluva lot of light settings in VCDS :think:

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members