Cost of going BT and parts needed?

jamiebennett81

jamie,seriously mate,just get a quote from bill for the whole lot he is a fair and honest guy.Save up that amount and drop it off,job done.

I've had so much hassle in the past with bits from here and there missing bits not fitting not working,it's a nightmare.Do the job once do it right.

yeah, I think I will definitely. Also in the case, as you say with parts not right, not fitting, its extra cost, messing about going back to different suppliers, which you may have bought the parts 6 months ago (due to saving for BT) and then its gets even more fun

at least with Bill, it's one central place, and back to Bill in case of any issues

jamiebennett81

get a gt30 on it

too laggy in mine, Bills and others opinions

besides the most i want is 400, and looking for 380, as I believe anything over 400bhp is when you start to get gear box issues and stripping gears

jamiebennett81

its got some power left in it for a later date if needed

I doubt I will want any more mate

besides if I am not running full boost through the gt30 from the start as in only running 380wont it make it more laggy than a gt28 which will be running at its optimum?

pj1985

1.8T Power
Oct 31, 2006
Hampshire/Surrey
The way I see it is best suited for the driver and application the car is used for. If the driver wants a nice useable power band and good road car with some reliability then upto 400bhp is good imo. If you want something which is much faster but not as useable on the road and will more than likely push other parts on the car to break then 400bhp+ is the answer. Either way at the end of the day it doesnt matter how much power you want if you cant use it, especially if it is your daily and if it breaks you have problems getting to work etc.

jamiebennett81

The way I see it is best suited for the driver and application the car is used for. If the driver wants a nice useable power band and good road car with some reliability then upto 400bhp is good imo. If you want something which is much faster but not as useable on the road and will more than likely push other parts on the car to break then 400bhp+ is the answer. Either way at the end of the day it doesnt matter how much power you want if you cant use it, especially if it is your daily and if it breaks you have problems getting to work etc.

ditto

it is my daily driver, and I want to keep it as sensible.....well as sensible as 380bhp is, and of course parts will break, but it's not breaking that 400bhp limit which IMO is the point where things really start to break i.e. stripping gears etc

380 is the target and to me, its more than enough

I probably will want more, but when I get to that point, the car will only be used at weekends and I will have a cheap run around for the week

RobDon

Pro Detailer
TBH people get way too hung up on peak numbers, the key is usable, controllable power with a wide torque band that can be put down on the tarmac with minimal wheelspin and cornering ability. FWD is the weak point, not a lack of horsepower IMO. Who actually 'needs' any more than 300bhp on UK roads - how often do you actually get the chance to open up your car to the full potential on UK roads - to and from work? :confused:

Most big turbo guys don't talk about how there car takes off like a rocket and sticks to the road like glue, no ... they talk about wheelspin in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th gear etc. and things melting, breaking, blowing, etc.. :whistle:

Big hp numbers are for pub talk and dyno queens. :D

Yes - I'm questioning myself and any thoughts I have about taking things any further on my own car too. Sorry Jamie, just sharing my own thoughts. :shrug:

jamiebennett81

TBH people get way too hung up on peak numbers, the key is usable, controllable power with a wide torque band that can be put down on the tarmac with minimal wheelspin and cornering ability. FWD is the weak point, not a lack of horsepower IMO. Who actually 'needs' any more than 300bhp on UK roads - how often do you actually get the chance to open up your car to the full potential on UK roads - to and from work? :confused:

Most big turbo guys don't talk about how there car takes off like a rocket and sticks to the road like glue, no ... they talk about wheelspin in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th gear etc. and things melting, breaking, blowing, etc.. :whistle:

Big hp numbers are for pub talk and dyno queens. :D

Yes - I'm questioning myself and any thoughts I have about taking things any further on my own car too. Sorry Jamie, just sharing my own thoughts. :shrug:

hey thats cool Rob, I welcome all opinions, and its nice to hear something a little different, unlike us "Dyno Queens":p:lol:

I do agree to an extent, FWD is the weakpoint, and actually, reading and digesting what you have wrote has struck a cord. It does tempt me back to a gt2860rs....but I just know I will want more, and I think the gt2871 will offer up what I want, despite the lack of traction at times:D

you are right though, I am chasing the figures a little, but I really want that "shunt" and power all the way to the red line with little drop off, and for me, the gt2871 will give that, not saying the gt2860rs wont, but I just want that little bit more (difficult to explain really, but I am sure there are many who know what I mean or are in agreement)

there are still a few bits to do to the car i.e. spacers etc, but these are minor aspects. I really hope I can get the money together and the work done before Edition38 next year, as thats the show stopper for me

back on topic:

when I was at Bills the "supposed" 3" DP that Blueflame supplied me was only just over 2.5"!! not happy with that at all

I am considering a whole new exhaust system too. Is it just the 3" DP that needs doing or a whole system that is 3" all the way?

pj1985

1.8T Power
Oct 31, 2006
Hampshire/Surrey
My blueflame was actually 3inch as it was used as the base for my custom 3inch dp for my IHI . Later ones they do are 2.75 I was told but this was for Ibiza. Does not have to be 3inch all the way back. 2.5inch should be ok.

jamiebennett81

My blueflame was actually 3inch as it was used as the base for my custom 3inch dp for my IHI . Later ones they do are 2.75 I was told but this was for Ibiza. Does not have to be 3inch all the way back. 2.5inch should be ok.

hmmmm I dont think it was even 2.75 when Bill measured, a definite restriction IMO:(

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
hey thats cool Rob, I welcome all opinions, and its nice to hear something a little different, unlike us "Dyno Queens":p:lol:

I do agree to an extent, FWD is the weakpoint, and actually, reading and digesting what you have wrote has struck a cord. It does tempt me back to a gt2860rs....but I just know I will want more, and I think the gt2871 will offer up what I want, despite the lack of traction at times:D

you are right though, I am chasing the figures a little, but I really want that "shunt" and power all the way to the red line with little drop off, and for me, the gt2871 will give that, not saying the gt2860rs wont, but I just want that little bit more (difficult to explain really, but I am sure there are many who know what I mean or are in agreement)

there are still a few bits to do to the car i.e. spacers etc, but these are minor aspects. I really hope I can get the money together and the work done before Edition38 next year, as thats the show stopper for me

back on topic:

when I was at Bills the "supposed" 3" DP that Blueflame supplied me was only just over 2.5"!! not happy with that at all

I am considering a whole new exhaust system too. Is it just the 3" DP that needs doing or a whole system that is 3" all the way?

Your downpipe would be all new and full 3" if you had the BT from me, as your existing DP is not reused. Its all new on BT

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.