Cost of going BT and parts needed?

jamiebennett81

My old 2871 was very laggy when compared to my Owens turbo, My turbo starts to pull from 2500:D 1 bar by 3700 and full on by 4200. The 2871 I had was .86 originally and was stupid laggy, Changed to 64 housing and was much better but lost top end power. My 2860 was much better than 2871 (for me) but both don't compare to my new setup :)

Im very happy with the 2860rs .64 on my car. It does hold boost all the way to 7k before it slightly drops off. It is silly fast, but i think thats more from the weigh of the car. We run the 2871r .86 on the race car and the boost does come in fairly early, but on a road car that had the same turbo (large port head) the boost was very late.

If i was you jamie then i would opt for the 2871 .64 for more power if you do rods or the 2860 .84 if you want the car to be slightly more usable. This will be more than enough on your car. Just get a diff fitted before you go any further.

When i finally get around to building my engiine then i will either be putting a 2871r .64 or 3071r .64 on instead of the 2860. I just wonder what I will break on the car next.

thanks for your input guys, very helpful indeed

what does the 2860rs spool from on your car? and on your new car, why are you changing from the 2860rs.64 to the 2871.64? more top end I guess? but similar spool times?

Backdraft

Its not laggy for a bigger turbo. I prefer the 4wd cars with the 2860 .84 and the front wd cars with the 2860 .64. I thinks that mainly from the gear ratios on the TT's. Very short so its nice to have the extra at the top end of the rev range. Its really all down to how the car drives rather than the figures. Best bet would be to drive a range of BT cars to see what they are like. Im lucky in that i get to drive all sorts of machines. Never had a try in Hooch's car. He as usual broke it before i got a chance.

For road use we say the 2860 .64. For road and track the 2860 .84 (or 2871 .64 for a little extra) and the 2871 .84 for track and race as you are always in the power and boost when racing hard where lag never gets seen.

We are working on the 3071 so i cant really comment on that.

Backdraft

I cant really remember jamie. Been so long. Iirc its building boost from 2.5 then on full by about 3.2 ish. I dont tend to drive the car out of boost. I dont see the point in waiting when you can change down a gear or two!lol!

I poss going for the 2871 for the extra at the top and more torque. The engine that im building will take high rpm and the head is all ported to help lower down and faster spool.

jamiebennett81

I cant really remember jamie. Been so long. Iirc its building boost from 2.5 then on full by about 3.2 ish. I dont tend to drive the car out of boost. I dont see the point in waiting when you can change down a gear or two!lol!

I poss going for the 2871 for the extra at the top and more torque. The engine that im building will take high rpm and the head is all ported to help lower down and faster spool.

thank you for your input, very valauable

I am guessing that the spool times of a gt2860.84 is similar to a gt2871.64, but of course with a little more top end

if I can hit similar or better spool times with a gt2871.64 as my gt2x (as it is quite a lazy turbo) then I will be more than pleased

think I will ask if Bill will be kind enough to give me a drive of the octy, as he has the gt2871.64 fitted:)

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Feck, once that thing hits 4250rpm :drive2:

Bet its a pig to drive though. All or nothing.

and a power band from 4500-6500rpm?
horrible

2000rpm powerband will suk on the road trust me.

had a car like that.. nasty drive
was far far better with smaller turbo which made a wider powerband

jamiebennett81

and a power band from 4500-6500rpm?
horrible

2000rpm powerband will suk on the road trust me.

had a car like that.. nasty drive
was far far better with smaller turbo which made a wider powerband

Bill, what is the spec of the better turbo you had fitted? and any chance of a test drive to get an idea of spool etc? please?:D

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
What puts you off? Who really 'needs' 380-400bhp anyway?I've heard quite a few people say the GT2871R is laggy. Not trying to put you off or sway you at all, just trying to apply some logic and common sense. :)

it is'nt. you should try one before saying that Rob :p ;)

Its going to provide high 300's and even low 400's on the right setup, and spool pulls from 3500rpm hard to the limiter (GT2X delivery but just lots of it unlike GT2x)

:funk:

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
thank you for your input, very valauable

I am guessing that the spool times of a gt2860.84 is similar to a gt2871.64, but of course with a little more top end

if I can hit similar or better spool times with a gt2871.64 as my gt2x (as it is quite a lazy turbo) then I will be more than pleased

think I will ask if Bill will be kind enough to give me a drive of the octy, as he has the gt2871.64 fitted:)

too late to drive octy m8, its gone.
ask cupra matt tho as its his now

matt20vt drove the octy before it went to see what it was like vs his potential next BT steps..

small GT30R or GT2871R options
going larger than 0.62 a/r exhaust housing is asking for a lag machine in my opinion for road car. I would'nt tolerate that lag in my racecar, which spools fullon from 4.5k thru to 9k rpms so has a very wide and huge powerband.

jamiebennett81

too late to drive octy m8, its gone.
ask cupra matt tho as its his now

matt20vt drove the octy before it went to see what it was like vs his potential next BT steps..

small GT30R or GT2871R options
going larger than 0.62 a/r exhaust housing is asking for a lag machine in my opinion for road car. I would'nt tolerate that lag in my racecar, which spools fullon from 4.5k thru to 9k rpms so has a very wide and huge powerband.

ah dam, never mind:(

was it the .64 housing you had fitted to the octy?

ryan_s3

Mar 27, 2004
A fairly quick spooling 360-380bhp in a light fwd car would be awesome on the road.I personally don't think a gt28rs/gt2860 will make that power .Sounds like the gt2871r is the way forward for you guys.

mat20vt

jamie, i think a small 2871 would be best all round option. felt really quick in bills octy. spooled up way better than what i thought it would, and pulled really hard, much harder than my ihi ever did

i'm pretty sure i'm going to go for a 2871

jamiebennett81

jamie, i think a small 2871 would be best all round option. felt really quick in bills octy. spooled up way better than what i thought it would, and pulled really hard, much harder than my ihi ever did

i'm pretty sure i'm going to go for a 2871

cheers mate.....from what I have been reading and researching the last couple of days I think I have finally made a decision

its the GT2871 with .64 housing

there, done it!:D

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.