Cough and high rpm, misfire?

Connorg115

Aug 29, 2017
United Kingdom
So I put my foot down in 3rd and there was a sort of cough at about 5k but carried on as normal until redline

Felt and sounded like a misfire!

Also I need my throttle body adjusting as I cleaned it the other day if that ties into this in any way

Is this the early sign of a bad coil?

No codes btw.

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
What exhaust and down pipe do you have ?
I get occasional back pressure build up as custom downnpipe is slightly restrictive. Still haven’t changed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Connorg115

Aug 29, 2017
United Kingdom
Standard down pipe and custom cat back

It like bogged down for a split second have to give her some beans tomorrow and see if it was just a one off

Nautilus

Dec 9, 2006
Bucharest, Romania
There are plenty of possible causes for a misfire in an 1.8T. Bad coil, clogged injector, poorly adjusted throttle butterfly, poor fuel rail pressure, cam chain tensioner out of adjustment and so on.

However, they all occur seldomly. Unless the car had poor coils from the factory, as there was a recall just for the coils.

There is one cause which bugged plenty of people and it's actually very easy to cure: poor fueling at high rpm and high boost. When boost jumps over 1.1-1.2 bar at high rpm, it either bucks violently, or misfires like a cannon and then runs slightly better.

Cause? The battery.

Fuel pump relay is made to drive the pump at maximum amps and therefore maximum flow when voltage and current draw are correct and only then. Poor voltage, poor alternator performance leave the car running rather good at normal traffic rpm, but unable to draw fuel at high boost. On Torque app, one can see the A/F ratio jumping madly (too much air, not enough fuel) and then falling back to 14.75:1.

Once the battery is removed from the car and charged properly, high boost fueling is normal again.

The stealer may charge the poor fellow a bucketload of money to change randomly fuel system and ignition parts, and the engine still won't perform until the battery is fresh.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members