CR170 - dirty diesel traits?

betty_swollox

Richie
Feb 15, 2011
Washington
I was told if a diesel makes a too much noise there's someting really wrong with its.

If you wanted diesel & a nice sound you shoud have gone with an impreza, my 200 bhp 2.0D has a nice engine sound which reminds of a V8 (especially when it's regenerating)

Didn't buy a diesel for it to sound nice. I would have kept me cupra if I wanted something that sounded nice lol.

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
Worst is when it first turns over a few times. The noise until it gets going is awful. Rattle rattle.
Neuspeed is definitely coming to compensate some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

big rich

VAG techie
Apr 22, 2011
south yorkshire
Had a strange rattle on cold start-up which turned into a judder and slight misfire. No warning lights or faults were coming up so they did a couple of compression tests. Compression is a bit erratic but it's got SEAT scratching their heads as to what the cause is. Have to clock up some miles then take it back for more testing. Well weird.

I fixed a Q5 2.0tdi cr last week for the exact same fault your describing, compression was between 24-25 bar (ok) ended up needing all 4 injectors (worn internally)

whats erratic about the compression?

I predict lots and lots of worn CR injectors across the vag range in the not so distant future...

big rich

VAG techie
Apr 22, 2011
south yorkshire
different fault mate, the pd's especially 170's get carbon build up which makes them go short to earth, car shuts down all injectors because of the drivers for the injectors then wont start.
Common rails usually wear internally which usually shows up more so from cold - symptoms - smoke, misfire, diesel combustion knock, lack of power and not usually a fault code stored.

but yeah good old vag injectors

Redemption

Jun 18, 2011
Hampshire
I fixed a Q5 2.0tdi cr last week for the exact same fault your describing, compression was between 24-25 bar (ok) ended up needing all 4 injectors (worn internally)

whats erratic about the compression?

I predict lots and lots of worn CR injectors across the vag range in the not so distant future...

Dealer said the compression "was erratic and all over the place". Picked the car back up today and they showed me the printouts of the two compression tests they did. Going by memory of the brief look I got at it two of the four bars were high and two quite low in comparison. Fairly sure a couple of the figures were around 14-15bar. Apparently they were within tolerance but only just. As I said, I only got a brief look at the printouts.

My knowledge isn't enough to decipher what I was looking at unfortunately.

Here's a vid of the noise it was making on start-up. Does this intermittently but only when cold.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvCQBYDvGak&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Last edited:

big rich

VAG techie
Apr 22, 2011
south yorkshire
put a pic up if you've got it of the test, compression shouldn't be erratic and all over the place.
wear limit is 19 bar, any thing under then you've got issues, also max variation between cylinders of 5 bar.

my speakers are crap on the laptop but sounds like duel mass flywheel knocking to me (worn)

Redemption

Jun 18, 2011
Hampshire
put a pic up if you've got it of the test, compression shouldn't be erratic and all over the place.
wear limit is 19 bar, any thing under then you've got issues, also max variation between cylinders of 5 bar.

my speakers are crap on the laptop but sounds like duel mass flywheel knocking to me (worn)

Haven't got a pic of the printout unfortunately. Will ring them tomorrow and ask for the actual readings.

The noise in the video only happens occasionally but it's not as loud as it once was. The other odd thing is that when it does make a noise you can make it louder by turning the headlights on!

It's been back at the dealers twice for this and each time it hasn't made the noise or shown any faults. The slight misfire and shudder is the only thing they can find and these both started around a month ago. Frustrating to say the least as it's only done 24k miles (had it from new).

Last edited:

big rich

VAG techie
Apr 22, 2011
south yorkshire
Yeh get the compression results, the knocking will most likely something driven by the aux belt then as when you put the lights on your putting more load on the alternator.

Reactions: Redemption

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
yeh get the compression results, the knocking will most likely something driven by the aux belt then as when you put the lights on your putting more load on the alternator.

and due to the fact that the alternator is driven by the engine you are puting more load on that too.

big rich

VAG techie
Apr 22, 2011
south yorkshire
Hiya mate got your pm and the compression results are far too low, send me your engine code i.e cepa, cfffb etc.. and I will double check but they are low for a diesel.

Redemption

Jun 18, 2011
Hampshire
Got the car back. Injectors were ok when checked. Compression is now more equal across the cylinders but still low (17 bar being the highest) compared to what it should be.

It's not showing any fault codes and the dealer says it drives ok so they've returned it to me. Still doesn't go like it used to as far as I'm concerned. Any other bright ideas as to what might be causing the low compression?