CR170 - dirty diesel traits?

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
Nah.
Thing is there is a massive diagnostic checklist that should cover everything.
You'd think they'd get to it.

Hell the list of things they just checked to get to the bottom of my P0102 error was immense, and eventually lead them to an obscure little fuse.

So hopefully it's something a little easier and simpler than what I wrote. But not sure what else can impact compression.
Id be very interested to find out though

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
Just thought again and really can't think of anything. Especially in an area where so little can be the cause....
Gaskets, valve sealing, rods, crack, piston rings,....really what else is there that I haven't mentioned?
Any proper engineer have a clue?

Redemption

Jun 18, 2011
Hampshire
I'm no expert but would assume it's one of those bits you've mentioned. Seems these days that if a fault code doesn't show up then they're left guessing.

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
I reckon it's not been run in properly or it's been driven with little or no oil in it. This could well damage the rings and/or boars and cause low compression. Then again it's isn't exactly low, it's just a little lower than what the book says.

On the plus side, if the compression is a little low the engine will be running quieter.....:D

Redemption

Jun 18, 2011
Hampshire
I reckon it's not been run in properly or it's been driven with little or no oil in it. This could well damage the rings and/or boars and cause low compression. Then again it's isn't exactly low, it's just a little lower than what the book says.

Had it from new. Gave it a good mixture of driving styles to try to make sure it was run-in well. Always warmed up, cooled down etc. It's not used any oil since I got it apart from the standard oil changes when serviced. Perhaps I'm not driving it hard enough but I don't hang about (or drive like a knob!). :D

What book compression have you seen as I was told it should be 25-31 bar per cylinder. Highest on mine is 17 bar and it was down to 11 bar on the first set of tests.

On the plus side, if the compression is a little low the engine will be running quieter.....:D

It is fairly quiet! lol.

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
Wait is it all cylinders?

Could it just be that some bellendian mechanic put on the belt incorrectly and the valves are totally out of sync? Can't imagine that. It would be far too obvious.

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
Are you 100% sure that the compression gauge they used is calibrated correctly? Take it some other place for a compression test. 11 bar is very low and IMO would cause poor starting and poor tick over.

big rich

VAG techie
Apr 22, 2011
south yorkshire
why are they giving you the car back? if its got 17bar across the cylinders and i bet thats after they've squirted oil down to increase it, then something is not right. Its below what seat say is the limit of wear. we had an Audi A4 in the other week basically same engine, compression down, pistons burn away on edges, most likely bad injectors caused that.
You can usually hear low comp when cranking and also when running, does it sound normal?

Last edited:

Redemption

Jun 18, 2011
Hampshire
Wait is it all cylinders?

Could it just be that some bellendian mechanic put on the belt incorrectly and the valves are totally out of sync? Can't imagine that. It would be far too obvious.

All cylinders are low overall. Here's the results.

Test 1
Cyl 1 - 15.4 bar
Cyl 2 - 11.8
Cyl 3 - 17.0
Cyl 4 - 13.8

Test 2
Cyl 1 - 15.8 bar
Cyl 2 - 13.2
Cyl 3 - 16.0
Cyl 4 - 12.1

The latest test was 15-17 bar across all four cylinders so a bit more evenly spread.

Redemption

Jun 18, 2011
Hampshire
Are you 100% sure that the compression gauge they used is calibrated correctly? Take it some other place for a compression test. 11 bar is very low and IMO would cause poor starting and poor tick over.

Would hope their kit is correct. Starting, tickover is all fine. That's the odd thing. Waiting a call back from another dealer to get it booked in with them.

Redemption

Jun 18, 2011
Hampshire
why are they giving you the car back? if its got 17bar across the cylinders and i bet thats after they've squirted oil down to increase it, then something is not right. Its below what seat say is the limit of wear. we had an Audi A4 in the other week basically same engine, compression down, pistons burn away on edges, most likely bad injectors caused that.
You can usually hear low comp when cranking and also when running, does it sound normal?

They gave it back as they says it's running fine, goes ok, no faults shown etc etc. I've said it isn't but don't seem to be getting anywhere hence trying another dealer.

It cranks ok, starts ok, runs fine but is lacking torque compared to before. Don't get proper grunt until 2.5-2.7k revs. The only other indication that it's not well is an occasional shudder/misfire on cold start. That's what led them to do the compression tests.

big rich

VAG techie
Apr 22, 2011
south yorkshire
Take it back one more time say fix it or give me a new car. i think you are actually in a position already to reject it to be fair with the amount of times you've took it already

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
Take it back one more time say fix it or give me a new car. i think you are actually in a position already to reject it to be fair with the amount of times you've took it already

This.

SEAT should replace it by now.
Can't believe how patient you've been

Redemption

Jun 18, 2011
Hampshire

I'm hoping it won't come down to that but that's my ultimate last resort if I get nowhere.