CR170 EGR fault

dandan1989

May 17, 2015
Hi my names Dan, I'm new to the forum. I recently bought a seat Leon on a 61 plate with the CR170 engine.

All has been well up until a few weeks ago when the glow plug light came on. Obviously this puts it into "limp" mode.

If you stop the car and turn ignition off then restart it resets and drives faultlessly again.

I had it plugged in at a local garage and it came up with the following:

EGR valve:
P0403 00 -Malfunction- intermittent

ECM power relay load circuit:
P068B 00 -opens too late- intermittent

They reset the faults and it ran fine again for nearly 3 weeks, but its now done it again.

Has anyone had this before? I gather EGR faults were more common on the older PD engines, but thought they were less troublesome on the later CR's.

Thanks Dan

JoeleonFR

Jan 4, 2014
Crewe
Hi Dan,

It isn't common on the CR Engines to have this fault however it isn't unheard of! Long and short of it it's going to need an EGR valve. Do you have extended warranty?

Joe :)

JoeleonFR

Jan 4, 2014
Crewe
What I'd recommend Dan is that you book in with your closest dealer, you would have to pay for the diagnostics - and ask if there is any goodwill contribution available from SEAT UK I have a feeling they would pay for a big chunk towards a replacement EGR valve.

Joe :)

JoeleonFR

Jan 4, 2014
Crewe
Or dependant where you are in the country pop it into us and we will set up a case with SEAT UK and try and get you the best, economical return.

Joe

dandan1989

May 17, 2015
Thanks guys, I'm in leicestershire. I have had it plugged in at my local garage. I rang my local seat dealer today and they said its £85 for a plug in.

dandan1989

May 17, 2015
Thanks Joe, I've had it plugged in at Seat Leicester and they have confirmed that it needs an EGR.
They said that because the last service wasn't done by a seat main dealer they cant get any good will.

They want £811.81 fitted.

Is it worth calling Seat customer services and taking it up with them?

dandan1989

May 17, 2015
Thanks Joe, I will let you know how I get on.
The annoying thing is I'm a lorry mechanic and have no problem working on the car, but I have no diagnostic kit.

dandan1989

May 17, 2015
Hi Joe, I just had a call from them this morning.
They have managed to get some good will.

50% parts and 50% labour.
So it's £405 fitted.

Thanks Dan

Fmxvxx

Dec 21, 2014
That's about the best Seat customer care will ever do so not bad, I dont know why they make the EGR's such a long job Before working for Seat I used to work for vauxahall and an EGR on the 1.7 or the 1.9 used to take less than 10 mins to remove and fit.

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
The 1.6 and 2.0 common rail suffer terribly with egr faults. The seals leak, the rods seize and the roll pins fall out of the runner.

They are a lengthy job to replace as they are a valve and cooler assembly all in one. Not just simple valve with a vacuum pipe on. The other thing to note is their location - right on the back of the block, probably to aid the thermal dynamics of said component.

dandan1989

May 17, 2015
Does anyone know if the EGR will be exchange?
I doubt it will be.
As being a fitter I would like to have it after they have fitted the new one, so I can have a look at it.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.