Cracked Alloy

ghostbustertab

Jun 21, 2016
Hi team,
I kept getting a flat tyre so changed my tyre twice it to be told by the garage my alloy is cracked and has been welded together but I didn't know this until now, spoke to the Seat garage where I brought it from who said it happens to cars and just tough!! but this car is just turning 3 years end of December.
Can anything be done?

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Hi team,
I kept getting a flat tyre so changed my tyre twice it to be told by the garage my alloy is cracked and has been welded together but I didn't know this until now, spoke to the Seat garage where I brought it from who said it happens to cars and just tough!! but this car is just turning 3 years end of December.
Can anything be done?

Is it still in warranty? You could contact Seat UK and/or the dealership and ask for a good will gesture price for a new alloy. Perhaps get prices off our forum sponsors (Hortons and Listers) so you know what ball park you are dealing with (with a forum discount). As for the alloy, I wouldn't want to be driving round on it even with further repair. Not worth chancing your life and your car. So I'd get it swapped out. Depending on the type, sometimes they come up second hand and they are willing to part with just one.

ghostbustertab

Jun 21, 2016
I've saw one from a seat garage for 691.08 orange pack which is mad just for one,
TPS are selling cupra ateca ones for 240 each
Do you think I would get a discount from Hortons or Listers?

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
@ghostbustertab; I’m assuming that you’ve not owned your car from new, otherwise you’d have been aware your wheel had been welded. If you’ve only very recently bought your car, the dealer may make a goodwill gesture by contributing towards the cost of a new wheel if you make a specific request. However, in view of their current response (‘it happens, so tough luck,’), it seems unlikely they’ll be willing to help.

Cracks in alloys can safely be repaired by welding, but I don’t know if a previously welded crack can safely be welded a second time. It might be worth seeking the advice of a reputable alloy wheel refurbishment company such as Lepsons (www.Lepsons.com) who do offer a wheel welding repair service. Lessons will only perform a weld repair where they consider the wheel will be safe for everyday road use after it’s been repaired. However, I don’t think I’d want an existing repair repaired a second time; I’d be looking to replace the wheel.

In the absence of a repair, your options would be;
  • Sourcing a used wheel to replace your damaged one. However, there’s no guarantee a used replacement hasn’t been welded or straightened if it’s suffered impact (pothole) damage - if it has, you may have the same issue that you currently have - leaking air.
  • Buy a brand new replacement wheel. As @Legojon has suggested, you may be able to get one at a discounted price from the forum sponsors, or check for other Seat dealers with online shops who may offer genuine Seat products at discounted prices.
  • Replace all four wheels with a different set if you fancy a change; a potentially costly option, especially if you change the size of the wheels, as new tyres would then be required.
In your position, I’d be going for the second option.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
A cracked alloy will always be weak in the repaired area and should only really be used as a temporary measure / spare once fixed.

bmw wheels crack all the time as there is no give in the run flat sidewall and the shock has to go somewhere

exmgman

Nov 30, 2009
If you bought the car from a dealer of any sort less than six months ago they are responsible for a repair of this sort.
It is assumed that the vault existed was there at the time of purchase. I you case it would seem that is obvious as the wheel has been welded.

Reactions: Mr Pig

ghostbustertab

Jun 21, 2016
If you bought the car from a dealer of any sort less than six months ago they are responsible for a repair of this sort.
It is assumed that the vault existed was there at the time of purchase. I you case it would seem that is obvious as the wheel has been welded.

Garage told me because it's a used car that law dont apply

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland

I'd think that is BS, trading laws should give you protection from buying something that is already damaged and repaired in a substandard way, you had no reason to suspect this was the case when you bought that car, the vendor probably did not know about that defect, but it was up to them to be able to confirm all was well before submitting it for sale - their fault so their loss, that is why a bit a padding is built into the selling price, it is now time for them to use some of that padding/profit up and sorting things out for you - if not name and shame and do likewise through your local trading standard office so that they end up on a watch list.

I know nothing about this part but, I can't see the "alterative" SEAT "almost the same" will be a substitute for your more expensive SEAT wheel, I think that this has been discussed in the past.

Edit:- check the VW Group part number on your wheels and buy another of the same.

Reactions: Mr Pig

Hag

Sep 15, 2018

If they had done a proper inspection on the vehicle during preparation they would know that alloys is faulty and has been repaired and is not fit for purpose and should have replaced it at that point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CupraGeezer

May 11, 2018
That is absolutely BS, how do these sharks get away with spouting such guff?

Your contract with them was subject to the Consumer Rights Act 2015, which superseded the Sale Of Goods Act 1979. This basically states that the car (and its component parts) have to be of a satisfactory quality and fit for the purpose for which it is sold. Whether you can prove (by a preponderance of the evidence) that the wheel was in an unsafe condition at the time of the sale is another matter. Has this wheel leaked since you got the car or is this more recent?

Either way, I would consider the original repair to have failed any would be wary of attempting another repair. By the way, some aluminium alloys are weldable and some (generally the higher strength ones such as 7075) are not but these are more typically used for forging than casting.

tallen96

Nov 27, 2019
If you've had the car for less than 6 months then they are liable for the repair or replacement, regardless of whether the car is used or not. You also do not have to prove it's not your fault.

I'm assuming they didn't let you know that the wheel had been repaired? (Look at your contract to make sure). If so, i would tell them that your consumer rights have been breached, specifically sections 3 a, c, d and e. If they say they've done no wrong then report it to the motor ombudsman and provide them with photo evidence of the fault and photo evidence of the entire contract to show the damage wasn't declared upon sale.

I work at a dealer and stuff like this should be taken very seriously, if someone gets injured due to a fault with their vehicle and weren't made aware of said fault then people can face serious consequences.

Whatever you do, don't buy a new wheel before you've gone through this process as getting your money back can be near impossible.

Reactions: Legojon