Cracked Engine Block 150TDi

Wito

Recently I found out that my Cupra had a cracked engine block. With 52K on the clock and just outside of the warranty I am some what miffed :mad:.

The fault started with a warning light coming on the temperature gauge; first of all it appeared to be a sensor fault but within a very short period of time engine oil appeared in the expansion bottle.

Possible reported faults to this symptom were the Head Gasket or Oil Cooler to be faulty. On inspection neither component was found to have a problem. Further inspection investigated the possibility of a cracked Head but this was ruled out through a pressure test.

Processes of testing the components have now suggested that the fault is with the engine block.

Would like to know if anyone has heard of this fault on TDi VAG engine before?

:drive2:

Feb 1, 2007
Nottingham
Certainly I have not and assume that with the block being cast how could this have happened on a fairly new car?. I would push Seat for a replacement should you find the block to be at fault.

devonutopia

fabia-lous
Mar 30, 2004
Exmouth / Exeter
I'm only aware of one other PD engine that had a cracked block, and that was pinpointed to pre-detonation caused by a propane injection system. (not mine though thankfully :D) He ended up fitting a second hand engine from a scrapyard.

If this pd150 engine was standard, then it sounds like bad luck, and possibly a fault with the metal casting that was present and hidden from the moment the engine was assembled.

craig-pd130

May 7, 2003
Manchester
Visit site
If your car is unmodified and dealer serviced I'd say you've got a very strong case for a big contribution to repair / replacement costs by the manufacturer.

The block should last the car's lifetime, it's not a consumable item.

devonutopia

fabia-lous
Mar 30, 2004
Exmouth / Exeter
I forgot to add I have a complete PD130 bottom end (basically exactly the same as a pd150) - block, pistons, crank, sump. Don't want much for it either. You could definitely re-use the block as the engine was only hydrolocked - the block itself will not (should not ;)) be damaged. To the naked eye the whole thing looked OK - I was able to make the pistons turn fine and smoothly by exerting force on the crank. :)

S3 AKR

livin' the dream!!!
Jun 30, 2004
Colchester, Essex
That is gutting mate. Did you report the initial problem whilst still under warranty ? I'd be going back to them if you did as the issue was there whilst covered.

Just a thought and probably a long shot.

timbotdi

Oct 18, 2006
This sounds similar to when my 'bottom end' went... My head had already cracked, and I'd replaced it with a low mileage breaker's yard jobbie. 30,000 miles later and the car dies on me... Turned out it was a cracked piston. In reality it is cheaper to get a 2nd hand complete bottom end than replace the piston, as you'd have to rebore the cylinder, and lots of other expensive stuff.

I was quoted £350 for a PD130 bottom end from Sanburn, but they mucked me around and nothing materialised. With the car on m'garage's ramp and no front end, I had to plump for the only thing I could find - a complete PD130 engine from ASM for £850.

Thankfully all's now sorted, and it's running sweeter than ever.

Good luck with yours... Gutted to hear of a similar story.

T

Wito

Cracked Block

Thanks for the words of advice; I am sure this discussion is not over yet.

Reading all of your replies it is obvious that it is not common and that this is a manufacturing fault.

The components, head oil cooler head gasket have been inspected and they have not shown a fault. I have been advised by a dealer that (even though not checked) that the fault can only be the block.

I am in discussion with Seat at the moment to try and resolve the matter but as all of you can imagine I am seriously not amused :censored:

devonutopia,

Thanks for the offer would seem your not that far from me r of the block but I will try the manufactures route first

Without a car

Wito. :doh:

markandcath

I was looking for something else when i came across this post. Judging by the dates I am to late to help you but maybe not others.

we had a very similar type of event with Ford when a 4 year old focus had a cam pulley snap at 80 mph and the engine was destroyed. We argued this was a manufacturing defect and they didn't want to know and offered and joke contribution.

We then serve against them with a small claims court case, stating the part that failed was a non service item and as such the failure was a manufacturing defect and covered by the Sale of Goods Act (All goods must be free from manufacturing defects for 7 years). To cut a long story short a new engine was installed free of charge 5 weeks later.

Bottom line is the motor companies tell you to sod off and most do (that is why they do it) but if you have a go in the courts they will not defend as they can't. If your block has crack and you have a full service history on the vehicle then they have to except they manufactured a faulty engine or find a way to pin it on you (super chipped, induction kit etc.)

Best of luck.

DaveP

Small Member
Oct 3, 2001
Wiltshire
Visit site
Chap in work had a new engine from land rover at 120k miles and 10yrs old because of a fault with the oil pump. Don't accept anything other than free replacement (they also stumped up for hire car costs as well).

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise