Cracked Oil Sump - 1.9tdi FR

chris980

Hi

I have been advised by an engineer of my insurance company that my 05 plate Ibiza FR is more than likely going to be written off. To cut a long story short, I hit an unlit traffic island last week when avoiding parked cars which damaged the sump and the two driver side wheels. I have witnesses saying I wasn't speeding (wouldn't have been doing any more than 25 in a 30) and the police confirmed I was not under the influence of alcohol. I also stopped the car immediately after hitting the island and turned the engine off. This guy claims that the car may need a new engine, but was unwilling to give a definate answer. Is there any way of testing the engine to see if it is completely gone or should I just take his word for it? Basically I don't want to have my car written off based on 'his opinion'. He also had no breakdown or costing of the damage to show me.

He rang me at 8.30 monday morning to advise that my car isn't repairable, so to me, he has not spent very much time looking at the damage, and when I questioned him as to how much the repairs would cost, he was evasive of the question and was unwilling to give me an answer. But he did let slip that he had already agreed a price with a salvage company who were willing to pay £1800 for my car. Do you think this guy is pulling a fast one? I want to fight for my car to be repaired as there is no other car I want, I have worked hard to buy the car and keep my payments as low as possible.

Also, there has apparently been at least another if not two crashes at the same sight in the fortnight leading up to my accident. Do you think I could pursue the council for neglect of repairs?

Any help appreciated.
Chris

If you can prove that the council knew about the unlit road island prior to your incident then yes you probably could - If they didn't know about it, they claim there is nothing they can do.

Secondly, you're entitled to a second opinion as to the repair costs, or alternatively you can buy the car back from the insurance and have the repairs done yourself and so long as they are done by an approved repairer you can put the car back on the road if that's what you want? I've know people who have actually came out better off by doing this.

As for the guys claim to the damage - He could be right, it the oil dropped out then you may have scored the cylinder walls, if it seeped out you may be more lucky?

P.S. This is also quite helpful:

flowchart.gif

----------------

It's also worth noting (that although you don't have a complete breakdown of the repairs, it could be you have chassis damage etc... When you tot up all those things the car may not be worthwhile to repair.

chris980

Thanks for the reply, the oil just seemed to be dripping out when I pulled over, but it was dark and couldnt really tell. I am definately going to seek a second opinion though, and my insurance are now working with the council in order for them to accept liability and therefore my excess will be waived.

is there a way to test if the engine is beyond repair?

Mar 8, 2007
Loads of people on Briskoda with silly low Fabias have cracked their sumps but none of them have had the cars written off?!

A new sump is a couple of hundred quid.

Nov 25, 2007
Derby
dont no if this will help but my sum is damaged got price for one today wel theres 2 sorts one is £80 and the other is £70 mines the cheapest one for my car.

Disco_Biscuit

Ibiza Cupra Tdi PD200
Jul 8, 2007
I do loads of these VAG sumps, never had one damage an engine yet, you can get a new sump for £35 from Euro Car Parts if you haggle a bit[B)]

Last edited:

mudcow007

i put a hole in my sump so big you could stick your finger in it** (which i did) on my Vaux Astra..i hit a stone in the road, new sump was £150 notes bobs your aunty its fixed

**dont do this when the car is hot...it burns alot

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members