Cracked pedal box - easy fix. (Cable clutch)

zilspeed

First of all hello to all. Never posted on here before.

SWMBO has a 2000 W reg. Ibiza 1.4 with a cable clutch. The pedal box had gradually cracked and bent - enough for the clutch to stop working properly.

To be honest, I didn't fancy removing the box etc and fitting a new one. It's a design fault and the new one will fail again.

The fix was very very easy.

Remove panels under dash to allow access to pedal box area.
In the engine bay, remove the two panels at the bottom of the screen.
(This is where the clutch cable goes through the bulkhead.)

Back in the footwell, locate the steel pressing that the clutch cable locates into from above. This is what we need to secure.
You now need a 3mm pilot drill, a 6mm drill and an M6 bolt, nut and washers.

Pilot drill from the footwell up through the aforementioned bracket into the bulkhead and through the bulkhead. Insert the bolt from underneath and the nut from above with washers at either end.

**top tip**
You don't need four hands to do this. All you do is jam the bolt in from below using a handle from a trolley jack or similar from the floor of the car up.

Tighten it all up, reassemble the various bits of trim and you're done. Takes an hour from start to finish and your clutch is back to normal.

Got to be easier than fitting a new pedal box.

Brummy

Nazi Moderator-Bot
Mar 6, 2005
Moved to the DarkSide
First of all hello to all. Never posted on here before.

SWMBO has a 2000 W reg. Ibiza 1.4 with a cable clutch. The pedal box had gradually cracked and bent - enough for the clutch to stop working properly.

To be honest, I didn't fancy removing the box etc and fitting a new one. It's a design fault and the new one will fail again.

The fix was very very easy.

Remove panels under dash to allow access to pedal box area.
In the engine bay, remove the two panels at the bottom of the screen.
(This is where the clutch cable goes through the bulkhead.)

Back in the footwell, locate the steel pressing that the clutch cable locates into from above. This is what we need to secure.
You now need a 3mm pilot drill, a 6mm drill and an M6 bolt, nut and washers.

Pilot drill from the footwell up through the aforementioned bracket into the bulkhead and through the bulkhead. Insert the bolt from underneath and the nut from above with washers at either end.

**top tip**
You don't need four hands to do this. All you do is jam the bolt in from below using a handle from a trolley jack or similar from the floor of the car up.

Tighten it all up, reassemble the various bits of trim and you're done. Takes an hour from start to finish and your clutch is back to normal.

Got to be easier than fitting a new pedal box.
This is the exact same thing I have been preaching for over two years now.. did it to my old 1.4 and its still going strong even with a heavy footed new owner. :whistle:

Thankfuly my Cupra was welded BEFORE I got it, saved me the trouble..[B)]

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
how about some images? this could go on the main site in the guides section.they are always welcomed by one and all.
probably one of the best first posts ;) welcome

greg

Aug 31, 2005
Has anyone managed to do this? I cant see how to get a power drill in there to drill the holes :confused: the chuck of the drill cant get in there because of the proximity of the bracket to the clutch pedal. Should the clutch pedal be removed to allow access? even with the pedal out it looks pretty tight. also, how do you secure the bracket in place temporarily so the holes are drilled straight and in the right place? Im worried about just drilling some really crap wonky holes :(

Numnuts2007

Hello, anyone able to help me with my pedal box issue? It's snapped and have new part being delivered but need to fit it!? :)

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.