Cracked piston - 130pd

shifty

Hi, I've just seen my engine after it failed last weekend, and the piston in No3 cyl has cracked, and marked the bore. Skoda are saying I need a short motor, and basically this repair will cost 3k whan all done.

The car is running a hybrid, FMIC etc and I was wondering what other options are available to me as 3k to get the same car back is alot of £££ if you see what I mean.

1.8t conversion? 140/170 2.0 pd conversion?

Any ideas appreciated.

Cheers.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Glad to see you treating this as an opportunity :)

I would have thought that an independent could source you a replacement engine & fit for far less than £3k...

Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
You took your modified car to a dealer to get fixed ? I thought you Skoda people where meant to be tight sorry i mean economic with your money. I got a secondhand 2.0 PD engine from a scrappy delivered with a turbo for £1250 last year and a 1.9 PD would be about £800ish if not less. You could always get it re bored and fit some custom forged pistons and cam etc then you really would have a unique engine with big power potential.

shifty

You took your modified car to a dealer to get fixed ? I thought you Skoda people where meant to be tight sorry i mean economic with your money. I got a secondhand 2.0 PD engine from a scrappy delivered with a turbo for £1250 last year and a 1.9 PD would be about £800ish if not less. You could always get it re bored and fit some custom forged pistons and cam etc then you really would have a unique engine with big power potential.

Hi Mate :)

Do you know where i might source said pistons?

I know where to get a cam :)

timbotdi

Oct 18, 2006
VW Sanburn's good for parts... I got a low-mileage head, complete with injectors for under £300. They had complete 1.9PD engines for around £800 as Mike said.

They're based in Coventry but can courier pretty much anything.

Phone Number: 024 7663 7376

Cheers,

T

shifty

VW Sanburn's good for parts... I got a low-mileage head, complete with injectors for under £300. They had complete 1.9PD engines for around £800 as Mike said.

They're based in Coventry but can courier pretty much anything.

Phone Number: 024 7663 7376

Cheers,

T

Thanks mate. Tried them but nothing in at the moment.

maxcars1

Nov 9, 2004
There were some bench tested engines on Ebay for approx £1400 brand new, but without ancils and turbo

shifty

Just an update on this....

I couldn't find just pistons, and it turned out my turbo, and cyl head were damaged also, so I got a recon bench tested unit from a company in Darwen, a new stage 2 turbo dynamics hybrid, new sachs clutch and had them all bunged in the car.

One custom map later.....243 bhp, 329 ft lbs. :)

shifty

How much was that all in the end?

Well, I kind of avoided adding it up, but seing as you have asked....

Engine - no ancils,sump, or injectors - £1250 inc
Stage 2 Turbo - £998.75 inc
Clutch £528 inc

Ancils swapped from old engine as were injectors etc.

Fitting by a mate at an Audi dealer - about £200 ish.

Custom map - Good deal from Awesome

Running ok apart from a dodgy injector now. Soon to be replaced with uprated ones.

So, just over 3k when all done.
Not really a bargain.....but thats life.

cheshire cat

Dec 28, 2002
cheshire
Visit site
:blink::D:D

DIFT

Torquing all the Torque
Oct 8, 2004
Kent/London
Seeing as you spent around 3k anyway to fix your car this way, you've essentially got free bhp ;)

I know who to call when mine goes bang now ;)

air121005

Sep 28, 2006
Worcestershire
Hi, I've just seen my engine after it failed last weekend, and the piston in No3 cyl has cracked, and marked the bore. Skoda are saying I need a short motor, and basically this repair will cost 3k whan all done.

The car is running a hybrid, FMIC etc and I was wondering what other options are available to me as 3k to get the same car back is alot of £££ if you see what I mean.

1.8t conversion? 140/170 2.0 pd conversion?

Any ideas appreciated.

Cheers.

I couldn't find just pistons, and it turned out my turbo, and cyl head were damaged also, so I got a recon bench tested unit from a company in Darwen, a new stage 2 turbo dynamics hybrid, new sachs clutch and had them all bunged in the car.

what was the old hybrid turbo & what map was it using?
what power did you have with the hybrid and fmic BEFORE the big bang :shrug:

Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon

243bhp is very good going from stock injectors. Must be the highest bhp PD diesel i know off using stock injectors. Just like to state i am not having a go at you or your car just that 243bhp does seem very high with no other added fueling.

shifty

243bhp is very good going from stock injectors. Must be the highest bhp PD diesel i know off using stock injectors. Just like to state i am not having a go at you or your car just that 243bhp does seem very high with no other added fueling.

Hi mate, fair comment, but the graph is here.............................

scan0001.jpg

Full mods are -

Prototype "PD160" Air intake (quite a bit bigger than a normal PD160....
Full stainless exhaust, decatted.
Green panel filter.
Stage 2 Turbo Dynamics Hybrid
Forge FMIC
Awesome Gti Custom Remap.

Bit smoky at the moment, but a faulty injector and a boost leak wont be helping........

shifty

what was the old hybrid turbo & what map was it using?
what power did you have with the hybrid and fmic BEFORE the big bang :shrug:

Hi mate, I was using a 2nd hand Stage 1 turbo dynamics hybrid unit. The map was my original Celtic tuning one from when I had an OEM turbo, hadnt had it on long enough to get it mapped really. Glad I didnt now :)

Power wise, no idea, maybe 180 bhp+ at a guess.

johnyardley

Hi Shifty,

How about a t5/ r5 tdi engine from transporter/ touereg.
174 bhp started and tunable to 300 bhp +

John

johnyardley

Humm I need to edit my signature as now have holden astra cdto 150 standard

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members