Cracked tail lights

Jack Jumpin

Jul 19, 2007
Hi,

Just giving the car a clean and noticed this in the off side rear light. I don't see any cracks in the light though.

Having a read here seems to suggest it is a warranty claim and should be swapped.

Does this look like a warranty claim ?

Cheers
JJ

Last edited:

Curtly

Jun 5, 2015
Essex
I believe so, check for cracks on the side of light (as in the other pictures). I have the condensation and a slight crack, I'll be waiting for my next service though unless it gets really bad.

Ian E

Nov 30, 2015
Just joined the Forum and seen this. I had the same issue with my 2014 bought from Motorpoint - Motorpoint replaced the light for me.

Jack Jumpin

Jul 19, 2007
UPDATE
---------

Went to the dealers and they swapped the tail light out, without any hassles.

I also had a look around at cars with LEDS on the forecourt and 5 had the same issue as mine.

Cheers
JJ

ScubaSteve

Sep 25, 2015
mine an non led, it was cracked when i got the car too.. they changed it with no hassle

Dt-spd

Sep 1, 2015
Rugby
Hi,

Just giving the car a clean and noticed this in the off side rear light. I don't see any cracks in the light though.

Having a read here seems to suggest it is a warranty claim and should be swapped.

Does this look like a warranty claim ?

Cheers
JJ

Mine was eactly the same as yours, no cracks but condensation inside, replaced under warranty by Listers in Coventry no hassle

SiR26

Mar 21, 2015
Manchester
Got my tail lights replaced under warranty, no hassle. LC Charles Seat Crewe. It seems like seat are aware of the issue so i can't imagine they will pose much resistance.

Lukeluke

Feb 7, 2015
I noticed a crack on the drivers side tail light. I have 4 months warranty left on my car, and the dealer said its not covered under warranty. I explained that there's no external damage so it must be some kind of manufacturing fault such as it been over tightening on being fitted and the reply I got back was that because it was over tightened, it's not a manufacturing defect and hence isn't covered under warranty.

Ian E

Nov 30, 2015
I noticed a crack on the drivers side tail light. I have 4 months warranty left on my car, and the dealer said its not covered under warranty. I explained that there's no external damage so it must be some kind of manufacturing fault such as it been over tightening on being fitted and the reply I got back was that because it was over tightened, it's not a manufacturing defect and hence isn't covered under warranty.

Send them a link to this thread - or print it out and take it to them. It is a known problem and they should sort it. If not try another dealer or go to Seat UK.

Blaine

Apr 12, 2012

Thats rubbish, took mine to dealer and they replaced no problem at all, they themselves said it was a common fault, take no for a answer

Stagsfell

Feb 16, 2015
I spoke too soon - a thorough check of the replacement lamp shows FOUR cracks developing from the inside, two of which are in exactly the same place as the original lamp.

Reported back to dealer and agreed to leave it until service in a couple of months unless it drastically worsens.

So, had the car in today for service, cracks not having developed further since previous post ie they are still on the inside. Receptionist mentioned rear lights as soon as I arrived without me needing to remind them and on collecting the car they had noted the (still barely visible) hairline cracks on their report.

Was advised that at present they do not meet SEAT replacement criteria having not reached the outside and no danger of water ingress, so again I was asked to keep an eye on them and advise asap if they worsen. Not unhappy with that - at least I know now that they will be replaced if they get as bad as the previous one, and that SEAT defiinitely acknowledge a problem. Also as it seems it takes some force to remove/replace the light units I'd rather leave well alone for now rather than risk "collateral damage".

Last edited:

sootytorques

Sep 9, 2013
Sorry to here about this, but i have said it before Seat don't like doing warranty work, my dealer avoids at all costs, and im currently having a battle regarding paint coming of rear parking sensor, car not even two years old, they say its stone chips, yet its a rear sensor, just one thats the problem, no indentation marks & paint coming off in a few places, nightmare, and Seat UK could not care less.

surrealjam

Jan 8, 2015
Mine is booked in at the dealer as one of the rear light clusters has started to collect water inside. To add insult to injury, I had both of them replaced under warranty last year so in 12 months of ownership, the car has had 4 light clusters and 3 have failed to remain air-tight...

Lukeluke

Feb 7, 2015
I contacted seat customer service about the dealer not replacing my lights. And guess what? The dealer have now changed their minds and are replacing it under warranty for me as they happened to come across an old bulletin.

G17RY

Feb 10, 2016
Dunfermline, Scotland
Here are my pics of my cracking on o/s outer rear cluster. First pic shows condensation which is the warning beacon to look for!

dcd9fdf986fba89a70b0509a4e85ca3d.jpg
dbec67c003c04041f940b94f6ae49865.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jay280

Oct 7, 2015
Just had mine replaced under warranty with no questions asked. Wasn't cracked. Just had condensation.
3298e73567413267cf12d5ee20cd2155.jpg
ab9cd7dc33e724154c11abab1b837751.jpg

gshaw

Jun 14, 2014
Essex
My supplying dealer (via DriveTheDeal) had no interest in helping with warranty work and fobbed me off saying to go to my local dealer, not happy at all.

Will probably leave it until the 1 year service but put some rather blunt feedback in the SEAT survey that came through the post recently.

Noticed some condensation in the front headlights when I wash the car is that normal or another recall issue?

Last edited:

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I did not know this was happening with Leons, but, my daughter's late 2009 Ibiza has that "leaking rear cluster" problem, I've resealed it using clear sealer from Halfords - along the joining seam, but it is returning! What a lot of rubbish SEAT tend to buy in for initial factory assembly use, battery died early on in car's life, next the alternator went, both manufactured in Spain (probably same for these nasty light clusters)!!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.