Cracked tail lights

Blaine

Apr 12, 2012
My supplying dealer (via DriveTheDeal) had no interest in helping with warranty work and fobbed me off saying to go to my local dealer, not happy at all.

Will probably leave it until the 1 year service but put some rather blunt feedback in the SEAT survey that came through the post recently.

Noticed some condensation in the front headlights when I wash the car is that normal or another recall issue?
Yeah front condensation is normal after washing, mine does same in colder conditions then goes within the hour of finishing, if your rear light is like any of the above don't take no for a answer, if the cars still under warranty your entitled to a replacement, had mine done no problem.

gshaw

Jun 14, 2014
Essex
Yeah front condensation is normal after washing, mine does same in colder conditions then goes within the hour of finishing, if your rear light is like any of the above don't take no for a answer, if the cars still under warranty your entitled to a replacement, had mine done no problem.

Only downside is the dealer is 80 miles away so they're using the "any SEAT dealer should be able to sort it for you" line. I somehow imagine a dealer who didn't supply the car will be less than pleased doing warranty work so maybe bundling it in with the service may be way to go.

MY16 car purchased October 2015 so should have plenty warranty time to go (well it better had!)

Raymondo111

Apr 6, 2015
Any dealer should be able to do Warranty work with no problems, dealers still get paid for Warranty work so they should have no issue working on a car that wasn't bought from them. I bought my Leon from a Leicester dealership through CarWow but had the rear light cluster changed by Essex Auto Group in Southend on Sea who are my nearest Seat dealer.

Rog.

...is unwell
Jul 19, 2006
Location Location
I've got condensation in at least one of mine, no cracks yet though. I hadn't realised condensation was enough to prompt a warranty replacement on its own, but I will ask about it when I go to collect my replacement wheel nut covers.
I also had the buzzing door card problem on a very cold morning the other day - hasn't returned yet though.

I was kind of hoping I'd be the lucky one and avoid all these common issues, but no such luck. I also found the first stone chip on the bonnet yesterday. Less than 2 months old, less than 2K miles on the clock.

Blaine

Apr 12, 2012
Mine is around 40 miles, but can see that would be a pain. Worth getting done though

jskelton555

Feb 23, 2008
staffordshire
condensation in rear lights

My 2015 leon fr had condensation in one rear light. Called in to dealers who took one look and ordered a replacement. Other light no condensation but water went in at top snd straight out at bottom. Both replaced in days while i waited- well done Seat Stoke!☺

Rog.

...is unwell
Jul 19, 2006
Location Location
Perry's Aylesbury swapped my condensationy rear light for a new one at the first service (18K miles/16 months) without quibbling. Which was nice.

YorkshirePud

Apr 1, 2017
Merseyside
I see mention in this and other threads of over tightening. Assumin it is just the one bolt holding a cluster on (like on an A3) is it worth just loosing off the bolt a bit if you do not currently suffer from the issue.

I have a late 2014 model and as far as i know, my lights have not developed this problem, i will of course be checking them extensively at the earliest opportunity.

yellowcone87

Mar 9, 2014
Warwickshire
I'd say if they aren't an issue leave them well alone, but keep an eye out for any moisture. It's more the way it attaches than the bolt itself. The fixing forces the cluster into its recess with two little tabs at the edge. It's the two tabs that ultimately cause the cracking.

bradleymarky

Nov 7, 2017
Huddersfield
Mine is going in tomorrow but they havent looked at the car yet, condensation in n/s rear and a crack that i can feel with no damage around the light. Its Huddersfield Seat so not hopeful after all the bad reviews they have.

I bought it elsewhere and they said they will replace it but i`d rather get Seat to do it.

Last edited:

Trickery

Aug 17, 2015
I have had same problem with my rear taillights first I replaced my one and thought nothing of it but there is a crack now appearing in my other light so I researched on the net and it is a common problem with all Leons the bolts have been overtightend when factory fitted so I took mine to the dealer Barlow motors seat Wolverhampton they was very helpful I explained the problem and they said as long as the crack is in the right place we will replace it anyway he took one look and said no problem I'll get a replacement ordered under warranty.

IbizaNI

Mar 23, 2015
Newtownards, Northern Ireland
I’m having the same problem with the drivers side rear tail light, took it to SERE Seat in Lisburn, NI and they refused to replace it under warranty, now have it booked into Agnew Autoexchange Seat for 2 weeks time, the fella on the phone said lights wouldn’t be covered under warranty! Also having the climate control looked at but they said they’ll be charging £74 for diagnostics which SERE didn’t do![:@]

IbizaNI

Mar 23, 2015
Had it booked into Agnew Autoexchange Seat today and they've sent off a warranty claim to Seat to hopefully get it replaced, didn't charge me at all contrary to what the fella said on the phone, just awaiting them to call me back to deliver the verdict.

Would the odds be high for Seat to approve to replace it? Would Seat know that I've had it looked at previously and that it was also a previously rejected warranty claim?

Glenn Stevenson

May 24, 2017
Hi I have just bought a 2014 leon Fr with the cracked lights, have seat supplied an updated replacement or will new ones break too?

IbizaNI

Mar 23, 2015
Had it booked into Agnew Autoexchange Seat today and they've sent off a warranty claim to Seat to hopefully get it replaced, didn't charge me at all contrary to what the fella said on the phone, just awaiting them to call me back to deliver the verdict.

Would the odds be high for Seat to approve to replace it? Would Seat know that I've had it looked at previously and that it was also a previously rejected warranty claim?

So Agnew Autoexchange got back to me and said the warranty company turned down replacing it, seems it's not up to the dealers to replace the light or not, maybe it's because mine is a Seat Extended Warranty for used cars rather than the 3 year new car warranty.

I've tried the 2 nearest dealers to me, one about 25 minutes away from me, another 50 minutes from me, the next would be an hour away, don't think it'll be worth it making the trip down as I'll probably be met with the same outcome, think I'll just buy and fit one myself.

I've attached a few pictures of what the crack and subsequent condensation looks like on my rear right tail light.

Attachments

• ctl1.jpeg
    ctl1.jpeg
    56.3 KB · Views: 107
  • ctl2.jpeg
    ctl2.jpeg
    62.2 KB · Views: 117
  • ctl3.jpeg
    ctl3.jpeg
    53.6 KB · Views: 120
  • ctl4.jpeg
    ctl4.jpeg
    63.4 KB · Views: 89
  • ctl5.jpeg
    ctl5.jpeg
    59.3 KB · Views: 98
  • ctl6.jpeg
    ctl6.jpeg
    49 KB · Views: 93

ADM

May 14, 2016
I had the same problem in both rear tail lights which had condensation and after reading the thread here I decided to take my car to the dealers as I am still in warranty. They had a look and said that they will change both of them under warranty which was done last week. Apparently when the cars were built these lights were over tightened which created a stress fracture in the corners which is the weakest point. I was told these new lights have been made by a different manufacturer so should not have this issue again fingers crossed!!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members