Cracked tail lights

matt_s

4 8 15 16 23 42
Dec 23, 2004
Is it possible to dry these out and seal them back up again rather than replace? Asking because my car is out of warranty.

ADM

May 14, 2016
The problem will be removing them first as the weakest point of the lamp is the corner part and this is where I had hair line cracks at the top corner and bottom part of the corner. Not on the lense itself but inside the lense part which is the back part which is black plastic.
I removed one of my lamps which was difficult. It had loads of water in it. I dried it out as much as I could. glued the crack which was at the back of the lense which is black plastic. behind this is a ball and socket which hold the corner part to the body work this is the weakest point.
As you try to pry the the corner away to remove it you will crack the weakest point even further and once you glue it to repair it the hardest part will be putting it back as you have to use force to push it back in the ball and socket which will definitely crack it again. Give it ago all the best!!

matt_s

4 8 15 16 23 42
Dec 23, 2004
The problem will be removing them first as the weakest point of the lamp is the corner part and this is where I had hair line cracks at the top corner and bottom part of the corner. Not on the lense itself but inside the lense part which is the back part which is black plastic.
I removed one of my lamps which was difficult. It had loads of water in it. I dried it out as much as I could. glued the crack which was at the back of the lense which is black plastic. behind this is a ball and socket which hold the corner part to the body work this is the weakest point.
As you try to pry the the corner away to remove it you will crack the weakest point even further and once you glue it to repair it the hardest part will be putting it back as you have to use force to push it back in the ball and socket which will definitely crack it again. Give it ago all the best!!
Cheers, I'll have a go at it. Worst case I'll have to replace them. They are about £100 each from eurocarparts depending on the discount codes you can find floating around.

PHILMEWAGON

Long member
Apr 4, 2013
Boro
Cheers, I'll have a go at it. Worst case I'll have to replace them. They are about £100 each from eurocarparts depending on the discount codes you can find floating around.

The part inside that holds your bulbs and
gets corroded after the housing cracks is 14 quid.

I'm having mine wrapped in clear for 20 quid per light.

Once wrapped that should negate the effects of any future cracks that might appear.

Cheaper than replacing the whole light I reckon

ADM

May 14, 2016
FBE55703-A206-493D-B2F8-FA78DD78A428.jpeg
This photo should hopefully help to show how mine had cracked from the inside. This is the weakest point!!

Deleted member 103408

The part inside that holds your bulbs and
gets corroded after the housing cracks is 14 quid.

I'm having mine wrapped in clear for 20 quid per light.

Once wrapped that should negate the effects of any future cracks that might appear.

Cheaper than replacing the whole light I reckon

Great idea, thanks for the tip.