Cracked turbo

May 13, 2007
Denmark
Can the exhaust side on a turbo be cracked and still "work ok"? (Just not boosting correectly)
Will there be blue/black smoke in this case?

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Blue black smoke is an indication of burning oil (ie oil seals going) hot side cracked will still work but not give full power as the fumes not getting turbo up to speed as they are escaping

May 13, 2007
Denmark
Hmmm ok, managed to get my hand down there with a small digital camera and take some pictures.. One of them showed a oil burnt resedue and the side of the "snail" where the TIP goes onto. Rest of it seem clean enough.. which I thought was odd.

I've stated before that I had a boost leak, but could not manage to find it when pressureing the system.

Have anyone experience with some UV additive that can be added to the motoroil?

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Hmmm ok, managed to get my hand down there with a small digital camera and take some pictures.. One of them showed a oil burnt resedue and the side of the "snail" where the TIP goes onto. Rest of it seem clean enough.. which I thought was odd.

I've stated before that I had a boost leak, but could not manage to find it when pressureing the system.

Have anyone experience with some UV additive that can be added to the motoroil?
Best off cleaning off the oil and seeing if it comes back.
No experience of UV additives

May 13, 2007
Denmark
I've uploaded this picture of it:
DSC01535.JPG

And this of the manifold, it seems shiny/wet at the gasket:
DSC01552.JPG

:think:

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
It's more likely that the TIP is leaking and as you don't have a catch can there is some oil residue in the vapours and as these are leaking out they are sticking to the hot turbo....hopefully

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Na the TIP is the turbo intake Pipe, so this comes from your induction system.
All you will be doing is loosing boost pressure and working the turbo harder to get the same amount of boost. All you need to do is slacken off the TIP, clean mating faces and make back up, tight but not too tight as you can rip the silicone and cause another leak, which might already be your problem

May 13, 2007
Denmark
But, I am loosing boost pressure... but that like 0.3 bar compared to stock map.

Unfortunately it's not a easy re-fit, as I have the brake master cylinder in the way :eek:(
Which also was the same reasong why had SEAT fit it ..