Crackling noise coming from beneath the windshield

Skipp

Oct 15, 2018
I noticed the other day a strange crinkling/crackling noise coming somewhere beneath the windshield. It's only there above 50-60km/h and it sounds somewhere between light raindrops falling on the windshield and ice breaking.

It's constant no matter if the car is cold or not and persistent on speeds above mentioned 50-60km/h.

At first, I thought there was something stuck in that plastic beneath the wipers (there where a bunch of leaves there) and scratching the plastic does produce a similar noise - but even after cleaning everything (including leaves under the bonnet) - the noise is still there. Any ideas?

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
Check the pollen filter housing for any debris being rattled around by the air flow, in addition to under the bonnet inside the plastic mesh where the air intake is.

Skipp

Oct 15, 2018
Everything is clean. Got rid of all the leaves in the plastic compartment but i just can't see how leaves could make such crackling noise from the outside. I'll just take it into the dealership and let them deal with it. It's obviously speed related since there's nothing under 50km/h

Deleted member 98136

Read Skipps post a few days ago, but didn't really think to much about it, until, when driving mine the other evening to go to the chippy I was on a dual carriageway doing about 50-55 mph when I heard the same noise on mine ( outside temp was about 2.5C ) after this the speed was not more than 25 - 30 mph (no noise heard).
Got the chips but never heard the noise again on the way home.
Presume the car had warmed up the 5 minutes or so I was in the chippy which presumably had an effect on what ever it was.

Skipp, can you remember what the outside temperature was ?

Skipp

Oct 15, 2018
Lately it's been a bit coldish here (5-12C) but i have the noise no matter if the car warmed up or not. I see you have the exact same model as I do (2018 1.4 125 FR). I haven't had the time to take it to the shop but I'll try this weekend if i get a spot with them

Deleted member 98136

I forgot to add that I had to defrost the screen first before I left home.

And that was the first time I'd driven it in temperatures that cold, which led me to think that it was weather related, as I'd not heard it before, plus I have driven the car keeping at that sort of speed before and have not heard any noise apart from road noise.

I've only done about 150 miles since getting the car exactly a month ago, so I'd be interested in the outcome of the findings if you do get it into the dealers.
Thank you

Frostensen

Aug 10, 2019
Sorry for necroing the post, any resolution with this issue? I just noticed the same thing on my Mk2.