Crank sensor replacement

B8sy

Apr 24, 2018
Hi all, my best mate has a Leon 1.9tdi (2006) and needs to replace the crank sensor as the car won't start. I've seen on some VAG engines there is a rubber grommet to remove which then allows removal of the sensor from the timing belt. Unfortunately this rubber grommet doesn't exist on his engine so not sure how to remove it. Any advice and pics would be more than appreciated.

To confirm symptoms...he took car out for long drive, after an hour he got on the motorway and noticed loss of power/acceleration so pulled off and came to stop, when he shut off engine it wouldn't restart. It's been like that since. He's been told could be a number of things, battery is fine so can rule that out. Car turns over but just doesn't start. He's tried turning over for a long time and still won't start. He once recently had issue where car wouldn't start when very warm but was fine once it cooled down.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

cheshire cat

Dec 28, 2002
cheshire
Visit site
a crank sensor problem would hopefully fix it'self once cold, ('till next time) rather than spending on parts, a code reading should give some idea where to start, also including an engine code would help I assume it's a PD rather than a a Tdi

B8sy

Apr 24, 2018
a crank sensor problem would hopefully fix it'self once cold, ('till next time) rather than spending on parts, a code reading should give some idea where to start, also including an engine code would help I assume it's a PD rather than a a Tdi
Hi, it's a TDI, we let it cool down and still no good. Plugged in a code reader when AA was with it and pulled up loads of faults he's cleared them all. Nothing returned but car still won't start. Is there a more likely cause? Thanks.

B8sy

Apr 24, 2018
bit rusty on this stuff but I'd first check the cut-off solenoid on the pump supply a feed and you should hear it click
So we replaced cam sensor and it now fires up but instantly cuts back out. Any ideas?

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise