Crankcase/Oil Catch Tank

Dave_R

Save a Sheep...Buy Brembo
Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Noticed some oil in my intake pipe and think it's time I get a catch tank. Done a search because I want some pics of how people have done it, to get an idea on where to mount one.

Only problem is none of the photos on the past threads are showing up.

If you have a catch tank fitted could you please show me some pics :)

Thank you very much, Dave

F2 Stu

I. Am. Legend.
Oct 4, 2001
Crawley, UK
Visit site
this is the one I had on my 1.4, the one I'll be putting on the 16v will be different

DSCF0003.jpg

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
you can use anything, 0.5-1.0 L with a breather filter on it, can pay as much as £100 for a blingin alloy one or use a plastic bottle (yes really), watch how much crud gets in it over first few days and then you know how often to empty it - make the fastenings quick release as you will need to take it off quite a lot or design one with a drain system

mine old engine used to chuck out as much as 500ml of while oil/water emulsion along with maybe a 100ml of oil on a trackday, very little on road use

for a 16V, the only breather is the block breather which is about 1" pipe above and gearbox side of the oil filter husing

my current engine is dry sumped and the block breather is very different to a std car so photo's from me wouldnt help you

rob

Last edited:

gregclarks

Trying to Resist ARBs
May 31, 2006
Old thread... but has anyone done this yet to a STANDARD valver?? the promblem i have is the inlet to my catch tank is about 10mm OD and the breather pipe from the engine is about 30mm ID so i guess i have to find some sort of whacking reducer - will this impede flow rate?

Also, I see above Stu that your setup does away with the standard part that the pipe should connect to -

In a standard setup the puipe from the engine block connects to a black plastic square thing that attaches to the front of a standard 16v inlet manifold (drivers side) i think that this serves to mix the air with that in the inlet manifold - so in effect, two pipes are joined in this standard part and then that is connected to the inlet pipe just before then inlet manifold.

Can i attach my catch tank to just the one from the engine and block off the little one from the manifold? or should i leave the little black square part on and connect the catch tank after it and remove the pipe that connects to the air inlet pipe.

Jesus have i confused anyone else?

gregclarks

Trying to Resist ARBs
May 31, 2006
Right, i think i have sorted it.. i have taken some shots to show anyone else how to do it....

IMG_0878%20(Large).JPG

I mounted the catch tank behind the radiator and plumbed it straight to the black square thing using the green hose that came with the catch tank.

IMG_0875%20(Large).JPG

Here you can see the catch tank bolted to the radiator and the green hose in the foreground.

IMG_0876%20(Large).JPG

Now this is the clever bit - i was happy with this... the green hose is a small ID and the black plastic square has a massive pipe. I found a magic marker with a large barrel and a thick nib - i pulled the nib out and pulled apart the barrel - hey presto a perfect reducer - couldnt believe my luck.

IMG_0879%20(Large).JPG

IMG_0873%20(Large).JPG

Sorted - oh yeah and btw the metal intake pipe sound great!

Last edited by a moderator:

kyle18uk

Dec 19, 2006
Nottingham
this is the one I had on my 1.4, the one I'll be putting on the 16v will be different

DSCF0003.jpg

A little off topic but i was just wondering what engine is that? 1.4 8v? is that an off the shelf induction kit or custom made? what else has been done to it? any information would be cool... !

ste4232

Jan 9, 2008
gregg - thats what i did on mine. Just make sure you place catch tanks where you can access drain plugs easy! my tank fills up quickly. Scares crap out of you 1st time you empty though as loads of water in there as well as oil, which is due to tank being exposed to cold air from front of car causing condensation!

Think my bling tank was £40!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members